Gazelle Trainer

Anthony Green

• 2 years later...
Recently I got an old kit of an super gazelle for free from somebody. I think the last owner bought it at the nats ( we use to come there every year).
The wing was delaminated and not usable anymore.
The fuse was half-build.
I am building now this 1985 model.
The wing is swept back and very thick, I replaced it with a 3cm thick rectangular quicky wing. The original wing was about 5cm thick.
I have a mvvs 45 for it.

Here you go Anthony, 

This is the super version of the Galaxy Gazelle.
This was taken  after its maiden flight. It was a bit hairy as the Cof G was to far back (from the plan!).  The pilot turned away in fright!.  He has now been resined to the base.  A traditional build - be prepared for lots of shaping and sanding!

Al

Edited By Alan B on 20/12/2010 13:35:59

Wow, this looks very good, Alan.
I can imagen that it was too far back with the swept back wing. I am inspired now for mine.
I put the wing more forward. 

The gazelle is one of the finest trainers and advanced trainers you can get I have flown loads from ones fitted with a humble 25 to 46 powered ones they are very forgiving but will take you through your b very should you wish they are tough hack models that deserve more credit than they get build it and enjoy it's a top aircraft

Some good endorsement of the Gazelle here (as there has also been of other Galaxy kits on this forum)

They've been around for yonks, and are very reasonably priced. Probably time I gave one a try. I may see if Santa has any room left for a late request

• 1 month later...
My gazelle is now ready, I made a few changes:
-other wing with a rectangular shape and a thinner wing thickness. Also I moved the wing a bit more forwards. I don't understand the sweptback wing, the cg must be far too much backwards. My cg is exactly ok without extra balance weight

. I had to move the gear 7 cm forwards.
The wing has a bit less square inch surface.
-I leave the cockpit.
- I use bolds for the wing instead of rubber bands.
- The weight is about 1950 grammes.

• 4 years later...