Lazy Bee as a Trainer?

Down Under

Hi All, to any and all Lazy Bee'ers out there, could a 48" (or there abouts) size Lazy Bee be used for learning on?

I have spent many hundreds of hours a flight sims and can confidently fly on them, but when it comes to the real thing I have had a couple of flights only under instruction. I don't get much time to myself, so barely get to the field. I am looking for a very slow or very floaty type model that I could use to get my confidence up.

I get real nervous out on the field at the thought of crashing my models first time out, so looking for something VERY forgiving that I could possabily take to a remote field and practice on. The clips on Youtube make it look like an easier flyer, but that could just be the skilled pilot at the controls.

Do you thing a Lazy Bee could do the job? I have seen many build threads, but no script on actual flying characteristics. Any thoughts / feed back would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 14/04/2013 13:55:51

Advert

I should imagine a WELL SET UP AND BALANCED Lazy Bee would be as good a trainer as any, it's just that when you outgrow it, it will be quite a leap to the next model you will desire to fly once you become confidently proficient on the Lazy Bee. Crash resistance is another thing, shame to have all these cheap Easy Star type foamies available and have to spend hours between flights removing covering, repairing, recovering then resetting your precious balsa baby.

Ruprectface 23

hello down-under........i had a lazybee...built from a kit with an OS 20 2st in it......where i am(north east) on the coast we nearly allways have a wind blowing...the lazy bee in my opinion....wouldn't make a very good trainer as such.....and if it was a built up one as mine was....it would be a labour of love to repair it..........as it didn't behave in the wind......and was easy upset by it........fine/calm weather it was a load of fun........but when do we get that? .....

ken anderson....ne...1 my opinion dept.....

Edited By ken anderson. on 14/04/2013 13:57:32

Hi there. I would second Ruprect's veiw. The lazy bee is a forgiving, easy flier, but a foamy is a lot more crash resistant. If you go for the lazy bee option, then chose an absolutly calm day, no wind at all! Procede with caution and you'll probably be just fine. I was a very nervous learner too, and learnt on .40 and .60 glow planes, and was in a constant state of terror! (and broke a few too). Nothing takes the neves away better than a big, light, slow foamy on a dead calm morning on a big empty feild! all the very best....smiley

I had the smaller Yard Bee and a friend built a Lazy Bee from a kit I had going spare unwanted last year. I maidened it, set it up for him on low rates (an intermediate) and on high throw dual rates for me (loony) and have flown it quite a bit, inc loops, rolls and sustained inverted, which it'll manage well enough in up to 10mph despite its rudder/elevator controls. However, no matter how well trimmed and carefully set up, its a short coupled design (short moment from CG to tail) with all that entails, and the deep chord large wing area to low weight gives little scope for error.

Sorry to be a downer but IMO neither is even remotely a suitable first trainer, but I would point out that if you really must, there is a lookalike Foam version that is cheap and that'll be much easier to fix!!

**LINK**

A Lazy Bee has been used as a trainer at my club with success. If you want to try a foam Lazy Bee do a web search for the Blazy Bee Plans. I have both and the Blazy Bee flys just like a Lazy Bee.

I would only fly on a calm day and restrict the control movement to 1/2" either way. lazy bee.jpg

A picture on my Lazy Bee above.

I wish you luck what ever you decide.

Regards

JM

Hi Everybody

Thanks for taking the time to share your points of view. While I hate to admit it (purely because I am not a fan of foamies), I think Ruprect is probably right. Think I will invest in a foamy to learn on, and save my precious balsa models for later.

Still, the Lazy Bee looks like a lot of fun to entertain the kids at the local footy oval. Will have to add to my looooooong build list!

Thanks again to everybody for sharing your valued points of view.

Down Under wink