how do you set about designing a scale model aircraft

As a long term flyer I would like to know more about how a design is created. What determines the wing profile? is this the same as the original plane? do you just get a set of three view drawing and make balsa fit? Usually the tail is made bigger by how much? Are there any books that you could recommend.

Do you need to be a wizz on the CAD software or can it all be on paper?

I want to pick an unusual warbird and create a 50- 60 size version of it, but I do not just want to waste balsa making something that will not fly good.

Ed

Advert

Well, To save time I suggest the Traplet book Designing Model Aircraft. Also Scale Aircraft Models for everyday flying by Gordon Whitehead.

It would be agood idea to start oiff d esigning somehting simple just to get the hang of it

Pencil and paper are fine, Much easier than CAD and acording to an expert no slower even when you know how to use it.

Forget about increasing tail surfaces. Just make sure that the CG is well forward, about 25%.

Depends on the wing section. For example laminar flow sections as used on soem modern aircraft do not work well on model sizes.

I would suggest that you invest in Compufoil as that is a great aid to designing wings as it makes tapered wing ribs easy. This is not a CAD system.

Hi.

Thanks for the excellent and prompt response to my questions Peter. I could not have hoped for a better response.

I will be looking up the books you mentioned. I will also have a look at compufoil.

I have not decided what aircraft to do yet. Probably a single low winged, single engined, prop driven fighter bomber ww2 era. Must be aerobatic as i built a lysander last year and although it looked fine, loops and rolls were not the done thing and I quickly got bored of it (and I over stressed it and the wings fell off) I do not however want to reinvent the wheel and create another Spitfire, me109, huricane etc, as there all covered by other excellent designs. Recently ordered a Richard Wills Lavochkin LA7 to build. So my own design may go Russian.

Ed

Had al look at Compufoil. Downloaded demo version. Very clever and reasonably priced software. If I continue with this idea I will get that.

As for the book, I think I know someone with a copy.

I will have a look at the Traplet book.

Need to sort through the web for an interesting plane. I want to design something others may want to build as well eventually or I may even offer as a kit eventually and become wealthy and famous as a result.laugh

Any suggestions of a plane which would have appeal and be different?

Ed

Eddie, have a look at the various 1940's fighters designed by Martin Baker. They all have simple lines and ample tail surfaces. The MB5 is similar to the P51 Mustang.

There are also many French and a few Dutch fighters that have had little attention from modellers. Dewoitine 520 , Fokker (Netherlands) etc.

eddie

In many respects picking the original to model is only a part of the 'own design' process. You also need to understand quite a bit about the construction techniques involved otherwise you may end up with a weak or heavy plane and possibly both!

Of course if you have already built a plane of a similar size and configuration you should be able to basically copy its construction and adjust things to give you the required profiles without compromising the strength of the structure.

You certainly don't need CAD unless you are going for laser cut parts, remember they were building true scale planes long before computers were around but you will need to draw it out, and all the various bits, on paper at the required size.

Models tend to have available a much higher power to weight ratio than full size so with the right construction techniques almost anything can be made to fly reasonably successfully.