Radian pro and a daft hotliner question

Hi guys,

i have a wot 4 foam-e but i still feel drawn towards gliders more, currently i have the Parkzone Radian pro and a Wildthing 46.

I'm confident flying now but have never really gelled with the Radian pro, maybe it's not as responsive as i would like after flying the wot 4, ailerons seem really weak (plus my brand new body on the radian pro is shaped like a banana).

But just how good is the Radian pro at teaching me the basics of thermal gliding? I only have the dx6i so cant mix in camber or reflex yet. Later on i'd love a more expensive electric powered glider. I have had thoughts of switching the radian pro for something that flies just the same but is a bit more responsive on the controls. but if you guys think it's fine at getting my thermal gliding skills up to scratch then i'll stick with it.

2nd question, can someone explain the point of a warm/hotliner?. I was looking at models like the cheap Duralfly Dynamic-s but i can't understand them. So something like the Dynamic-s doesn't glide as well as thermal glider, but then it flies fast like a sport model, but it still looks like a glider. I just don't get them. To me the Dynamic-s looks like it would fit in somewhere between being able to fly it off a flat field gliding and have it work a bit better on the slope than something like the radian pro does. Hope someone can explain the point of models like that.

Thanks guys

Mark

Advert

Mark

I think you will have to accept that a thermal glider is never going to feel like a Wot4!

For thermal work, particularly in the UK, the primary requirement is a low sink rate. This means an aerodynamically efficient big span wing with modest control surfaces so the roll rate in particular is bound to be low but I bet your Wot4 can't glide for as long as you Radian Pro!

For thermal work you need a slow flying plane with 'gentle' characteristics so when do find 'lift' and the plane reacts you want to be sure that it is the lift doing it not just a 'twitch' in your fingers!

Thermals are quite hard to find, rarely vertical and are widely separated. There is also a good chance that air between good thermals will be going down so you do want a plane that can get from A to B efficiently at speed. A plane set up to climb as fast as possible in any thermal may well use up all its altitude trying to reach the next.

This is where the hotliner compromise pays off. It may not climb as fast in a thermal but it stands a good chance of getting to the next. This assumes of course that the pilot has the skill to know where to go!

The surest way to find a thermal is to let some else find it first and then go and join them. Some birds are pretty good at thermalling, in truth much better than you will ever be but then they have been doing it for a very long time!

Finding thermals by yourself does require a good understanding of the weather and the way thermals work

So read all about it and keep practising!.

Simon

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 21/04/2013 12:19:33

If given the choice I would go for the Mpx EasyGlider Pro rather than the Radian Pro, certainly the EGPro will work modest thermals for you.

The Dynamic-S was a huge disappointment, rather a case of all show and no go. Makes a nice noise on a fast(ish) low pass (motor off and prop' folded) but underwhelming under power, rolls slow, poor energy retention - gave mine away - couldn't see the point of it. I reckon my electric conversion artf Wot4 might thermal better.

Ahh that bad is it?

Took the Radian pro out today, not that windy really, a few small gusts but it really seemed to struggle so i was thinking the 3ch radian (which ive had before and loved it) and something like the Dynamic-s would be a good combo, the Radian for calm summer days and the Dynamic-s might work better on the slope than the Radian pro would.

Will take a look at the Easy glider pro now.

I have an Easy Glider Pro. Ive modified it so that it has flaps and it has an eight channel RX in giving it full length ailerons, camber, crow and anything else you can think of. Powered by a Park 480 a 30sec motor run sees it out of sight into a good wind and yesterday I managed 23 mins of one 20sec motor run so as you can see it definately thermals well.

Although it can be rolled pretty confidently it needs some thought even with the full span ailerons, loops are easy but dont pick up too much speed on entry or exit as I find sometimes the elevator is not strong enough to pull out.

Now if your looking for something a bit more aerobatic check out the Multiplex Solius, that thing seems able to do it all and do it well.

Just looking at the easy glider pro now and from youtube vids the airframe looks stronger than the Radian pro? Looks like it slopes well too, where as now i could never think about taking my radian pro slope soaring, my wings were flexing all over place on the field today in the light breeze.

I guess i could fit all my electrics from the RP into the EG pro if i just bought the airframe? how do the EG pro wings fit on?

Looks like it could be the good 'all round' glider im looking for right now?

Wings slot into fuze with a strong c/f rod for strength, canny way of sliding wings on which connects the servo leads as you do it. You have to try pretty hard to significantly flex the wings under normal flight loads.

An advantage of the EGP over the Radian is the relative stiffness of the fusen as compared with the Radian.

It takes a lot to kill an EGP - doesn't matter how rough they look, they still fly (well), and if you load them up ie substitute studding for your c/f wing rod they'll slope quite well in a moderate blow too.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 21/04/2013 23:03:18:

Also have a good look at the Hobbyking Phoenix 2000.

There's a few threads on here about it. Great value for money.

phoenix249 .jpg

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 21/04/2013 23:05:17

I'm a big fan of the Phoenix 2000. Best £55 I've spent for a long time! Out with it on Saturday in moderately strong winds, and it perfomed fantastically. But then I'm biased!

Well, took my Radian pro out this morning, lovely sunny day with a bit of a light breeze and once again my model just seemed to really struggle. I find myself on every flight banging in full aileron just to get them to start banking the model (i have them on 100% throw). Then you can see the whole airframe flexing in flight which i really don't like.

There is this vid on youtube **LINK** i could never imagine my radian pro being able to fly that well on the slope, it seem to stuggle with a bit of a light breeze out on the field.

It's a shame as i love the look of the Radian pro but i just can't get it to fly well. Even my 3ch Radian i had flew better than this pro!

So i'm currently looking at the Easy glider pro, would buy it as the kit only and add my own choice of electrics.

Don't discount the Phoenix 2000 that Chris has pointed you towards.....a great model at a bargain price. Especially if you buy the ARTF version.....comes all kitted out for you...add Rx & battery & fly...I'm still getting to grips with mine & haven't flown it as much as Chris but its a great flyer & has impressed me so far.....

I'm looking forward to a bit of summer evening thermalling with mine....wink 2

My Radian was SUPERB on one day i took it out when it was dead calm, but we rarely get dead calm days even in summer do we?! haha.

Might have sold the Radian pro already and i'm currently setting my heart on the easy glider pro. I like how it already comes with a space for ballast etc. But to the guys who have one, do i need multiplex servos for the wings to plug straight in? i guess multiplex use those green connectors?

If you come to Greenacres for the summer RCM&E Funfly Mark there is everychance of seeing the "Mods Formation P2000" team - we've all got one - yes even me! And as the boys will tells you I'm no glider fan. But fair do's once you accept that, as Simon says its never going to roll like a WOT4, then its a lot of model for £56 all in - servos, power system etc. All you need do is add the flap servos.

BEB

So, my Radian pro is finally gone, not in the way i had planned though. Put it into the top of the tallest tree ever this morning. I was flying so will with it too!

Oh well, i guess it's time to start looking around for a replacement. On my list is another Radian pro (i know, i know) the P2000 from hobbyking or the multiplex easy glider pro. If anyone else has any suggestions then throw them in. Something that i can fly from the field near me, and that will also handle a little slope soaring on calmer days.

• 3 years later...

Hi there Mark and others, I thought I might just dip my toes into this thread to see what happens.

I am retired and have been developing my flying capabilities on a Phoenix 2000 and it's little brother 1600 version over the past two years. No longer the original PK2 purchase, but replacement, because for me the 2000 is a great budget thermal glider, and now I have just come back from chucking it off some of the Cornish cliffs!!!

What a great cliff soarer, for me, a beginner sloper/ "cliff hanger"!!!! Yes I have sorted out a couple of stiffener mods and all is good.

Reason for this post is that I am just wondering if there are any recommendations for an HK sloper that is not a "Wing", but still fits into the "budget" category. Probably electric (for rescue purposes).

Could a hot liner or warm liner fit into slope soaring capability without constant motor on??? e.g. the EFX racer? I have no desire to engage in the actual extreme electric speed pursuits, but wondered about it as a slope soarer??? Other recommendations will be very welcome.

Go With the Flow

Bruce