Delta-8 - FrSky D8+V8/Futaba S-FHSS+FHSS/Hitec A-FHSS Compatible Receiver

Here is a little project that I've been working hard with many, many hours of hard graft for the last 6 months that may interest a few people here...

Delta 8 Receiver

The Delta - 8 channel multi-protocol full-range receiver!
Possibly the first multi-brand 2.4GHz receiver and also the first Futaba S-FHSS & FHSS compatible receiver. It allows you to buy a receiver that isn't locked into only a single brand.

This unit works with the following systems:

• FrSky D8
  • FrSky V8
  • Futaba S-FHSS
  • Futaba FHSS
  • Hitec 2.4GHz A-FHSS

Plus you can put the receiver into PPM and RSSI output mode for Flybarless Heli, multi-copter and FPV'ers users. All this in a little 9g box!

When binding it'll search and find which system is active and then bind to that transmitter - all automatically. Alternatively you can use a set of jumpers to force the receiver to only look out for a particular brands.

So where can you get this from? Apart from a couple of international distributors, in the UK you can get it from T9HobbySport here or click the T9HobbySport link on the right hand side of this page (in the Sponsor section) and look under their FrSky Radio section.

As you can probably imagine, I'm pretty excited about this little unit! Not only is it likely the most complex receiver out there but it's also at a price that is very competitive - especially against the big name brands.

If anyone needs any assistance or help, feel free to post here and I'll try to help the best I can.

Cheers,
Si.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/04/2013 19:28:13:

Why have they got it listed as FrSky? I can see it's using the V8 as a base but it's not actually FrSky branded is it?

Ahh good question! However its one that I can't (for various reasons including contractual) fully answer. However what I will say (and I think I can say) that FrSky has given input, guidance and assistance in the testing, development and the functional operation of it. How FrSky wish to market it, is entirely up to FrSky.

But basically as you have noted, it's based on a FrSky receiver and they comes out of their factory. Support is around and of course the sellers have to legally provide a warranty anyway. You'll get far more support than those fruit coloured receivers that are popular!

Si.

Posted by Dickster on 22/04/2013 21:07:26:

Does the standard throttle fail safe work on Futaba's? I bought the "Orange" receiver only to find it doesn't, and the servo sockets are slightly narrower making the plugs too cramped!! In the end I couldn't bring myself to risk it....Rich

Yes, but... to double check, do you have a S-FHSS system or a FASST system.

S-FHSS is used on the Futaba 6J, 8J, 14SG and 18MZ - plus a few of the car RC transmitters too.

If you have another Futaba radio, then you may have a FASST system.

Si.

Posted by Dickster on 22/04/2013 21:22:50:

i've got the 7C FASST system. Does that make a difference? Thanks, Rich

Yea, FASST systems aren't compatible with S-FHSS unless it says S-FHSS on it too. The only FASST systems that are currently compatible with S-FHSS is the Futaba 14SG and 18MZ.

You could try one of the many FrSky FASST compatible receivers instead. T9HobbySport and GiantShark both do them.

Si.

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon, well I got a couple of these to fit into my slope gliders, have spent couple of hours this morning putting them in and ? I ve taken them back out ! Im using a futaba T8J tx and they appeared to bind ok first time but I noticed the servos were a bit erratic, cycled the power a few times and it took several mintues to re bind, re bound using the link (only for fhss) and again worked ok ish first time but after switching off took ages to re bind and the servos were very erratic, given up at the moment but as of this time would I fly with them ? definitely not ! time for a cup of tea and a re think.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning, thanks for the link Ashley !

Spent a wet tuesday trying to get these to work, one I managed to link and will repeat but the tx has to be at least 1.5m away ! thats not easy ! the other is duff.

Was considering sloping the first rx in an old zeno .......but Im not that confident it will stay bound ?

Think its time to speak to T9 about them.

russ.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 31/05/2013 08:43:00

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mart,

A new firmware revision was sent to FrSky last night for their testing. Once they approve it, I may start contacting some of the UK retailers offering if they want an update to their stock.

This version fixes a number of issues people were seeing:

• Made the Futaba binding processes quicker. On auto brand search it still may take a couple of cycles to lock onto Futaba. If you put the jumper into the Futaba position, it will bind a lot quicker.
  • Support for the Futaba TM-FH S-FHSS module. For some reason this used a slightly different address - even though the rest of the protocol is the same. Anyway this now binds and works.
  • The RSSI output is more stable when the transmitter is close to the receiver.

There looks to have been a couple of faulty/bad batch items that went out initally. But this seems to have been a small percentage of units.

Cheers,
Si.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys and Simon Chambers

I asked this query a couple of days ago on another RCME thread, before I spotted this thread.

Summary

I think I am experiencing short range between my T6J and my Delta 8 receivers (I have two). They are configured for fail safe all controls to neutral, E motor shut off.

Background

I'm a relative newbie started gliding a Bixler 2 in September 2013 using T6J and futaba RX combo. been able to fly 1300- 1500 feet with no RC range problems.

April 2014 purchased a Phoenix 2000 and two Delta 8 receivers. Still on a learning curve and with new model, suffered the inevitable control and stalls from time to time but improving. (I fly 3S Lipos and do not drain flat)

I am curently flying a Phoenix 1600 motorised glider. I have been noticing that at around 500ft distance or altitude that the control surfaces behave eratically. (At first Ithought it was me, but with more flights, I'm realising that there is something queer going on). I have started to realise that at aroundt hat altitude at full throttle climb, the glider slows and stalls.. Further thought on this makes me wonder if this might be shortened range and fail safe cutting in??? (power cut off and no surface control). It is easy to come out of the stall at that height and go into gliding routines with no more hassles, until I power up to regain altitude, and realise that I never make it past around 500ft mark. ( Ifly with an altimeter to record height and flight durations)

I am currently flying in temperatures of around 5 degrees centigrade at ground level but would be cooler at altitude.

Short range check on the T6J only gives me about 30 paces before erratic control, which I am thinking is quite short, but then I am a relative newbie

If you have read this far, thank you for your patience. Please have you any thoughts or advice. Both Delta 8s behave similarly

Go With the Flow

Bruce

• 1 year later...

It's interesting to read the above as I have also been experiencing odd behaviour when using Delta 8's with my Futaba 10J. Today I tested all of my eight Delta 8 receivers against four of my Futaba 2006's and 8006's. The Futabas worked flawlessly but ALL eight Delta 8's stopped controlling the left aileron intermittently after a few minutes of operation. The left aileron on all of my models are being controlled Independantly on channels 6 or 7. They stop responding and lock up for a split second up to several seconds. Long enough to lose control and crash. I bought the 10J 16 months ago and I've had random incidents ever since. It's been a difficult fault to pin point as the control surfaces work fine for the first few minutes. Long enough to get airborn. Then things start to fail and get progressively worse over time. It's as if the receiver starts to buffer and then freeze.

I spoke to Futaba who were aware of issues with third party receivers. They explained that there has been changes introduced to their 2.4Ghz transmitters coding protocol to comply with new frequency laws. The new laws came into effect in January 2015. They suspect that some third party receivers are less compatible with the newer Futaba transmitters. They advised me to contact FrSky to enquire about a firmware upgrade for the Delta-8 to fix the problem. I spoke to T9 today but they told me that they are unaware of any issues with the Delta-8's and Futabe J series transmitters. They also said they were unaware of any firmware updates to correct the coding protocol.

I'm now waiting to hear back from FrSky. Hopefully they can do something about the eight Delta-8's I purchased.

I hope this helps anyone else who has been tearing their hair out due to months of frustration.

Hi all

I had this problem with my 10J

Hi all
I have bought 4 of these Delta 8 receivers I have been having problems with the Recievers one failed on the range test at about 30m one of the others seemed to be loosing signal, it started with small incidents when the plane didn't do what I asked (asked for left turn carried straight on) I am new to flying (just passed A test) so thought it was me but decided to go round and land but the plane just dived to the ground literally spiralled down, I had no control what so ever. The other pilots said there was easily enough speed so not a stall. So I have lost all confidence in these Recievers.

Mick