Servo Rod

Greg Watkiss

Can anyone tell me how to overcome the flexing of the rod attached to the rudder on my aircraft. The rod is external and runs down the side of the fuselage. When I operate the rudder the rudder moves okay but but the rod bows. I am sure that if I reduce the flexing of the rod I will get more travel on the rudder. Any ideas?

Regards, Greg

Advert

Hi Greg, Have you flown this plane? I would think that the rudder wouldn't work very well, due to it not having enough push to overcome the air flowing over it. It's difficult to tell you what to do, without a photo, but you need to arrange some way of attaching the rod to the fuselage, maybe wee blocks of balsa, or as john suggests, put it inside a tube...................................................................................ernie

Hi, in my experience, if it`s a lightweight model, it`s not really worth a lot of effort and expense to fix this problem if it works reasonably well. In the past I`ve slipped a carbon tube over the rod, not always possible if there`s a bend on the pushrod to get past.

Sometimes the bend is created by the control horn being too short, or the slot where the pushrod comes out of the fuselage catching the rod at full extension so the rod has to bend to get round the corner.There`s usually no problem when the servo pulls the rod.

On a heavier model that really needed all the rudder it could get, I`ve added a second pushrod and horn on the other side of the rudder, not all that difficult, and changed the servo arm to make a pull-pull system.

Hi Greg,

I'm usually a perfectionist wit this sort of thing... No flex in any of my rods! (no jokes...please..). As advised, a thicker rod, or some ply or balsa blocks or run it in a tube, which may need you making another rod. If I dont get all my movement on a control surface (equivalent to the servo movement) or throttle then i redesign it - same goes for slop too.

However if you 've ever witnessed my flying, You may wonder why I bother...

Is it a park Flyer type model, like this?

pul1.jpg

If so, as on the model above the push rod is typically long, and made from small diameter CF. The servo and rod, can be seen in the photo. The way the manufacturers have solved the problem of bending/crippling. is to put intermediate supports along its length. This solution has been typical of all my Park Flyers, some being ply, others plastic.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/04/2013 21:59:37