bending piano wire

tomo55

Advert

Hi Chris,

I use a vice and pliers on smaller gauge stuff, and a hollow rod on larger stuff. I keep meaning to buy some of the custom made wire bending tools, but never seem to get a round to it. I do intend to do so before I comence the TB-3 build, as there is a lot of bent wire in the undercarrage of 1, never mind the 3 I plan on building!

Olly

Bench vice, long tube or cloth to get a good purchase on it, start the bend by hand, then use a hammer to get the bend sharpish next to the vice jaws. cnceyrate to get the second ben in the right place and at the right angle.

Or get or borrow a bending tool - brilliant piece of kit! Can't do a coil without one.

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 30/04/2013 19:32:33

Chris and all other readers who are struggling with bending piano wire

On the link below is a downloadeble drawing from my wirebender, feel free to download and use it.
because i am from the metric side of europ, the dimensions are in metric

**LINK**

Pictures how to use the wirebender on the links below,

**LINK**
**LINK**
**LINK**
**LINK**
**LINK**

Just a bench mounted vice and a large pair of pliers---all I needed when I was 15 to bend up my Junior 60 12 SWG undercarriage. However when I was bending my Southern Dragon 14 SWG undercarriage the piano wire snapped and the sharp end stuck in one of my fingers and I nearly passed out ---some care is needed!

MJE---Bend it like Beckham

Posted by Mowerman on 30/04/2013 19:23:23:

Ask around the members of your local club (you are in a club ?) for some one with a bipe bending tool, then take the wire and drawing to his place and ask him to demonstrate how to use the tool.

Job done ! wink

The only Bipe bender in our club is you Roy!!.......Is this post a hint that you're in need of an undercarriage making??Lol

Chris...Buy a wire bender..easier than a vice or pliers and they soon pay back their cost. Have a look at Model Shop Leeds,they have the MFA one.

Andrew

I agree with Andrew - yes you can do it with a big vice, a hammer and pair of heafty pliers - but why struggle? A wire bender isn't expensive and such a joy to use you'll find yourself bending up your U/C and a spare just for the pleasure of it! Well, perhaps not - but you get the point.

I use this one and its excellent - last you a lifetime.

BTW - in case no one has mentioned it - don't heat it to bend it - if you get it very hot it will lose its temper!

BEB

Thanks for the replies I bought a K&S mini wire bender and have just had a go at making up a U/C for my Junior 60, well chuffed with the results and only took 15 minutes even though I was constantly checking against the plan. wore goggles as advised.

Pic taken.

Thanks again

Chris 

Edited By tomo55 on 02/05/2013 11:57:00