Advert

You're right about it being expensive Joe! I must admit that I had to think twice before I spent almost 500 pounds. That said, it is a remarkable device. Last night I did a simple test to see how long a battery would last. I put the Phantom into a hover and just left it. In GPS mode it simply sat there and only needed occasional slight tweaks on the throttle from me to maintain the same altitude. When the battery reached a preset level it landed itself! I haven't tried out the fail-safe yet but essentially you can turn off the Tx and it will return to the point it took off from and land itself! The Intelligent Orientation Control is useful when the device is some way off in the distance as well.

All in all, very interesting!

Tim.

Hi Steve,

I've only flown the Phantom twice so far (only had it about a week) and one was a test flight to determine likely battery duration. The first flight was in quite a gusty wind and it was interesting when I looked at the video to see how the Phantom was leaning into the wind to maintain position (it was in GPS mode). What bit of video I've had from those two flights has been promising and on the first flight I hadn't balanced the props (I have now). They were quite unbalanced initially.

So I think the video will be very good. My initial flights were with the Hero 2 camera, but I've since bought the Hero 3 and will make subsequent flights with that.

Cheers,

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Im a Phantom flyer. Amazing piece of kit albeit expensive. At one end of the spectrum its a good and atractive craft to get into the sport but at the other end it could well cause all kinds of legal issues whether specific to the quad or more unfairly to the hobby as a whole affecting everyone. The amount of stupid idiotic flyers sending these things x10 fold permitted limits above the clouds for example could cause a serious incident/collision.

However to be fair very few broadcasted on youtube that ive viewed are from this country.

Very nice piece of kit and in some ways could be safer to fly (in the right hands!) simply because you can stop and sit at any level or position if you need to take a break or just stop for safety reasons.

I use a mobius cam on mine with gimbal. Taken some lovely shots and footage.

Edited By Richard Marshall on 25/04/2014 12:56:51