Too Windy For A Beginner

Greg Watkiss

Firstly, Let me thank everybody who have replied to my postings. I mentioned in one that it seemed impossible to have my first flight as the wind speed was above what was recommended for the novice. Well, I can't go now, I'm too busy read all your replies!

Looking at some of the model aircraft recommended to fly in windy conditions can any one recommend the Skyartec 4Ch Cessna 182 RC Plane Brushless version RTF 2.4GHz. (Here). I purchased the aircraft along with two cheaper foamies with a view to "breaking" them first but I have not yet assembled the airplane. If someone would like to give me their views I will assemble the aircraft today and take out next week and report back.

The problem with being a newbie is knowing what to do for the best.

Also if there is someone who could recommend a good boxed of the shelf kit for the novice flyer I would be grateful. I have modelling skills, so that's not a problem.

By the way. I retire this December. At the speed I am progressing in the hobby I will have retired before I even get off the ground!!!

Greg

Advert

Follow Kens advice if you can Greg i attempted to fly alone on private land and ended up crashing first flight and destroying my Super Cub. I am not saying it can't be done but i would join your local club, i did and ended up going solo only after a dozen flights and haven't looked back since. As for the wind if in doubt don't fly always better to fly another day.

I don't wish to sound negative Greg (but I will just the same devil. The model is too small at 38in span and will get smaller very rapidly as it flies away from you so you will become disorientated even quicker than normal! One of the other problems with this model is that it is made from EPS (expanded polystyrene) which is very fragile and will disintegrate as soon as you look at it! Scale models? You can buy loads later when you can fly consistently well.

Get something bigger and if it is foam make sure it is either EPO (Expanded Poly Oilfin) which is tougher than EPS or EPP (expanded Poly Propylene) which is indestructible. My recommendation (by PM) was either the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro or their Easystar (both EPO). They are good quality proven models, can be repaired easily and spares are available too. If you are to go it alone give yourself a chance and get a proper model!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/05/2013 13:11:40

Greg

Notice in the video on your link the Cessna takes off flown from a tarmac surface. Do you have access to such?

With those wheels any grass would have to be 'cricket pitch' short and smooth to take off from.

If you are going to try and fly by yourself a powered glider type makes a lot of sense. They tend to be bigger (easier to see at any distance), fly slower (it takes longer to get any distance), less sensitive on the controls and crash slower too.

The two Piers mentioned are hand launched and belly land so any reasonable grass surface will do.

The Cessna is of course a proper model but maybe not the most suitable for you, at least not yet.

What are your two foamies?

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 12/05/2013 13:10:28:

I don't wish to sound negative Greg (but I will just the same devil. The model is too small at 38in span and will get smaller very rapidly as it flies away from you so you will become disorientated even quicker than normal! One of the other problems with this model is that it is made from EPS (expanded polystyrene) which is very fragile and will disintegrate as soon as you look at it! Scale models? You can buy loads later when you can fly consistently well.

Get something bigger and if it is foam make sure it is either EPO (Expanded Poly Oilfin) which is tougher than EPS or EPP (expanded Poly Propylene) which is indestructible. My recommendation (by PM) was either the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro or their Easystar (both EPO). They are good quality proven models, can be repaired easily and spares are available too. If you are to go it alone give yourself a chance and get a proper model!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/05/2013 13:11:40

I agree. If you want to go it alone (and I understand that, as its the route I chose), you need something easy to fly and learn with. I tried an IC powered trainer first and barely got it off the ground. I then bought a glider as a first model and never looked back....Rich

Edited By Dickster on 12/05/2013 17:08:52