Duration of a flight battery

Advert

There is no definitive answer to that kevin - it depends on how you fly. If you blast round the sky on full throttle - not very long. If you stooge around gently a lot longer!

Do you have a watt meter? If so see how many amps you are pulling at full throttle and say 2/3 throttle - you can then work out a minimum time and a typical time figure from that data and the battery capacity.

Then set your timer for the typical time minus 1 min. Fly the plane, land when the alarm goes off and then see how much you have to put back into the battery. Adjust your timer accordingly - ie if you are only putting about 2/3 of the battery capacity back in - you can probably advance your timer by half a minute - maybe a minute. Then test again,

BEB

I agree that the trial-and-error method is most reliable, because your flying style is probably the most important factor, and you'd be surprised how far your amps drop when you stooge around at part-throttle.

But when picking a battery, or aiming for a duration for your first flight, just remember that the battery mAh tells you how long it should run at a certain amps level: For instance, a 2600mAh pack can deliver 2600mA (or 2.6A) for one hour, 5.2A for 1/2 hour, 26A for 1/10 hour (six minutes), and so on. Take about 75 or 80% of those durations to be on the safe side.

I use the same type of meter as John M (mine came from Perkins) and it gives the percentage capacity left in the battery. I had not realised that the battery could be taken down to 20% though. I usually stop at 50%.

Is 20% capacity normal? If so this will extend the flight times on my motorised glider considerably!

Pete