Futaba FF8 or new?

Advert

Simon,I would suggest you join a club ASAP.
Clubs are a must to help you along in this great hobby.You will get loads of help and information from fellow members, and more importantly,learn about the safety issues involved.If you have the bug and can afford one get a FF9 super.....You'll never need another radio.....ever.(MINE MAKES TEA)

I certainly agree with joining a club. It also may make a lot of sense to see which make most of the members and any you may want to buddy with use.

Having said that I have used 2 FF6's for 3 years and bought myself new in December just before the Spektrum came out. At that time I decided to go JR 9XII. Why when I had Futaba before - there was nothing wrong with Futaba FF9 but the JR felt more comfortable and I felt the programming seemed a little more intuitive. At that level of expenditure with two respected manufacturers it is up to personal choice and possibly club support.

Good luck - tell us what you decide.

The FF8 was replaced by the FF9 some 4 years ago now I think. The 8' was a good mid range unit at the time and is still very capable even now but I guess you need to ask yourself whether a bit of kit that's 4 years old or more has been looked after by previous owners.
Personally I wouldn't want to trust a TX that I hadn't had from new. Some people take less care with their RC gear than others.
The FF9 is easier to use and programme than the '8 too. As Shaun says the FF9 is not too expensive if you shop around. I now use a FF9 and I think it's a top notch system. Graham (ed) is a JR man!

Good advice all 'round, thanks everyone. There's no way I can get the FF9, I am on a budget and for now I'm going the get the FF8 - its been used by an experienced pilot from new who (as far as I can tell) looked after it.

Maybe when I'm rich I'll upgrade again!

I'll have another look for a club too :)

Thanks everyone.

I have a FF8 and a FF9. The 9 is easier to program because it shows lots more info on the screen at the same time. For example all endpoints/rates for all channels etc. For me the biggest advantage is the ability to throttle and pitch curves visually rather than having to step through all the numbers. Only really relevant to heli flyers I guess. As far as I can tell the actual functionality for flying is about the same, though there may be a few more mixes/ free mixes available on the FF9. The rotary knob is good for quickly navigating the menus on the 9. Note that the CAMPAC format is different, you can transfer the memory module but it needs reformatting.

Both great radios and my FF8 has worked faultlessly for many years, though now it is relegated to mountaineering expeditions with Zagi's !