Hello All

ian wild

Hi All,

Well they have come out of the loft....President Hi Boy, Bill Kits Big Fun, Middle Phase (Glider!) , small high-wing hack and part finished President BiFly.

Time to see if I can still crash them with the same sort of style as in the late 80's early 90's....OH GOD I'M OLD!

The OS engines, Thunder Tigers and Merco all seem fine with good compression so I better ge some fuel sorted...even the glow plugs still work!

I still have 27mhz Futaba and Sanwa radio gear from the same late 80's-early 90's. It still all seems to work but could anyone advise me if I should just keep it for nostalgic reasons and buy new radio gear? I would of course do a full range check and as I live in the sticks there is little chance of flying off to any danger. Is it still usable or antique now?

Can't wait to get back into flying after a long lay off. Made the mistake of buying a RTF electric Micro stick for garden fun on holiday and its given me the bug again.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ian

Advert

Hi Ian, welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum.

My advice would be definitely retire that 27MHz stuff - its just not safe! Modern radios are so much cheaper in real times than they ever used to be. Get yourself a nice 2.4 GHz 6 channel set - it won't break the bank and its just so much more reliable! The Futaba 6J is nice if you want to stick with Futaba. Alternatively the Specktrum DX6i. Either will give excellent service.

BEB

I just had a good look and Bearair your right its 35Mhz, its an old 3 channel one I have thats 27MHz. Is 35MHz still best retired?

Josip, thats just cruel when I'm in Lincolnshire in the UK!

Thanks for the greetings one and all.

Hi, I and I'm sure many other people are still using 35Mhz gear. I'm using JR Radio gear and I've never had any problems (touch wood). If your radio gear still works why not use it?

Battery will probably need changing after all these years. Stay with your I/C engines too a lot of people use electric these days but if you have somewhere to fly where noise is not a problem then why go to all that extra expense,

Welcome back

Chris

I agree with Chris above 35Mhz is still being used by lots of people, in fact at the slope I fly at its still what the majority use. I also agree about changing the batteries especally the flight packs.

You may also be able to convert your Futaba at a latter date to 2.4g if you feel its required, it depends on which set you have.

Welcome back and have fun.

Roger

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the old gear a go, nothing to lose and if it disappears off across the fields it will give me an excuse to get the building board out of the loft too.

I think I enjoyed messing with the i.c. engines as much as the flying so i will be definately be smelling of oil soon too.

Thanks

Ian

Ian, a welcome from Oz ,

we in Oz had 27 and 29 and when i was handsome, but 36 was the path until the latest range. I am reluctant to let go of this 36 gear as it was my most expensive purchase(Name Brand) and I thought it would be many years past before it was obsolete.NOT SO. bum bum.

but get a bashed balsa something flying safely and you will have grin from ear to ear on more than one day that is for sure.Remember......smiley