lander 70mm metal fan motor

Tim Mackey

Burnt the motor out today on the above EDF Unit. I acquired the model almost complete and the seller told me that although he couldnt remember the exact version, the fan was OK on 4s.

Obviously notangry

I have managed to extract the motor from the shroud, and now need to know where to get a replacement ?

I could do with a new impeller also as its suffered a little FOD damage ( 5 blade plastic rotor )

Advert

Tim - I'm in a very similar boat.

I've recently assembled an HK (Lander) Hunter recently with a 68mm (nominally 70mm?) metal fan unit and had 4 (well 3 1/2) impressive flights from it. On the last one (Thursday) I was a couple of minutes into the flight when the power suddenly reduced. I assumed an LVC and immediately went into a landing circuit. After the final turn it looked as though a bit of power would be nice but nothing happened when I opened the throttle.

The result was a heavy arrival due to lack of elevator response, bending the noseleg and cracking (easily repairable) the front fuselage but when I recovered the model, I found the battery was very hot and had puffed badly. More worrying was the smell of burnt insulation and further investigation showed that the motor was extremely hot. Once cool, although it turned freely, the motor gave just a few hundred rpm so was obviously toasted.

What annoys me is that the model was pre-fitted with the motor/fan unit and using the recommended battery so it really shouldn't have stressed the power train unduly. Reading the HK forum revealed that I'm not the only one with early failure of the motor. I have raised a case with HK so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mine was supposed to be designed as a 6 cell version. The motor is marked as 2390 kv and is 28mm diameter if that's of any use to you - while working the performance was nothing short of stunning. Your description of your unit seems very similar - mine's a grey anodised colour...

Hi Martin, sorry to hear that - yup, sounds similar indeed.

Mine was in a Bede BD5, done in the James Bond Octopussy scheme

I have had it just over a year, and had....maybe 30 flights or so, using a 4s 3000 mahr pack. I know it was pulling a fair old current, but I was told the motor was good for 4s, so I didnt worry. Yesterday's first flight with it ended prematurley after around 3 minutes, as power dropped off quickly, and a very realistic trail of white smoke started trailing out the tailpipe! Landed deadstick no problem, and after recovering the model, smelled that all too familiar acrid stink of burnt enamel windings!

Unfortunately, the whole fan unit is glued into one half of the model, and then the other half is glued to that!! No access hatches, and whoever glued it in, went OTT with the stuff, so major surgery was performed, the whole rear turtle deck and fin etc was cut off, then another section just in front of the fan housing, and the edf unit was finally exposed. We did our best to run a long blade around the fan, but when it finally pulled free, a fair few chunks of foam came with it. Thats why I would prefer to just try and replace the motor, as then, the fan housing will more easily glue back into the space left.

Tim Wan, at Lander replied to last nights email with the following

Sorry to hear of it.. I am sorry to inform you that we have stopped this series two poles motor production from last two years.
All of our EDFs motors have been upgraded into 4 poles series.. I try to check our stock where is it still keeping some related motor.
then inform you asap. Thanks

Not hopeful, and I may just have to replace the missing foam chunks, and fit another edf unit - probably NOT a heavy lander unit either!

Thanks Pete...not up the wrong tree at all mate, but you see my problem sad

Edited By Tim Mackey on 20/05/2013 08:10:16