PSSA 1/2 June 2013

Olly P

well, as per the thread title really! who is joining us this weekend up on the Orme, and what do you plan to bring?

I will be there on Sunday only as working Sat. I will have myself and a friend who is coming with, along with my Tx and some batteries. I might put the Sabre in, it should fly, but could still do with some work to 'pretty her up' If I get chance on Friday/Sat evnings I'll try and put the epoxy on she needs....

I am also borrowing a 2-ch sports model from Dave G, so might get some flying done....

Who else is coming, and what you bringing?

Olly

Advert

Forecast looks reasonable, although Saturday the better day at the moment. Saturday afternoon, and all day Sunday for me at the moment, and will be bringing the usual suspects, as I have just not had any opportunity to work on the developing stuff.

Hawk, Gripen, Spitfire, Eagle, and a couple of foamies, including electric ........... just in case frown

sorry guys but I cant make this one. Lleyn will be my first PSS outing in August. Simons running this event, and Matt Jones is also due to attend.

Ill keep my fingers crossed here for good weather and hopefully the winds will swing round to the most favoured SW, although of course NW as forecast is still perfectly flyable from the same car park meet point.

Happy landings chaps, Phil

Thinking about coming up from shropshire (just to watch/take photos) on sunday!

I understand that there's a toll if you use the wrong road onto the Orme! Being a complete Skinflint any chance of directions/a map to get the other road?

Also, am I right in believing there is more than one slope active at a time as if thats the case I'm going to bring the wildthing (my wifes coming too!)smile p

CB

Hi Chris,

Slopes depend on wind (well duh) but if it is right we can have 2 slopes going at once. the advantage of the Orme is that you can fly in most wind directions....

there is a cheap way in, and iirc it involves going up the ski slope road - I did it last time I was there but it has been a while! I'm sure local boy Tim will be along in a bit....

Chris - bring anything that will fly - many folk bring non scale stuff, and I will have my wildthing too, we welcome all types of models not just PSS ( please have insurance though ).

Head to town - main street ( Mostyn street ) and go right to to the far northern end of it, and up the inclined bit ( upper mostyn street ). You will see the Empire Hotel facing you at the top.

Turn right and IMMEDIATELY left, sort of up the side of the hotel.

Follow that steep, and windy road all the way ( you will shortly be alongside the tramway lines ). When you reach the tram station, on your right, there is a T-junction just after, and you leave the road, and turn RIGHT.

Follow that road all the way down until you join the main orme coast road ( marine drive ).

Turn left, drive a mile or so and look for the "rest and be thankful" Cafe. Just after the cafe there is a road on your LEFT, ribbed concrete, locally known as the tank track, go up there, and you will see the cars parked, and the fliers in action. C U There.laugh

Edited By Tim Mackey on 30/05/2013 09:36:55

Great thanks Tim - going to print them off for my buddy to navigate from on Sunday.

As I say above I'm bringing a friend - he has never flown RC before and if he doesn't on Sunday won't mind, but wants to get started....

I have just ordered an Rx for the plane I'm borrowing from DG - hope it fits!

Nah, Futaba 8FG for me Tim!

I need more Rxs anyway as the current switching between airframes is irritating anyway....

It is ordered from GS now and should arrive at work tomorrow AM.

Next - prep stuff to be taught on Sat and do my normal job too, then pack most stuff before final pack tomorrow evening - which may include the Sabre......

Nearly time to pack the car!!

So what am I bringing wih me!???

Wildthing

CM Falcon

Phoenix 2000

Unbranded Blue Wing Glider

OV 10 Bronco

Fox

F16

and as long as its ready.... Cyril Carr L39!!

Lets hope this weather holds good!!

Curry and beers on Saturday evening is it Tim???

Well, I packed this AM even though only going Sunday - long story

Got my Tx, and the Sabre. The Sabre needs a little work but should be able to get that done tonight/tomorrow and be fliable on Sunday. The new Rx arrived today also so will have 2 with me. this TF4 is tiny!

Weather loks good, but light winds forecast for Sunday, looks like the blue wing sports model might be ideal Dave!

Posted by David Gilder on 31/05/2013 14:57:41:

Nearly time to pack the car!!

So what am I bringing wih me!???

Wildthing

CM Falcon

Phoenix 2000

Unbranded Blue Wing Glider

OV 10 Bronco

Fox

F16

and as long as its ready.... Cyril Carr L39!!

Lets hope this weather holds good!!

Curry and beers on Saturday evening is it Tim???

Of course Dave!

XC still showing NW for both days, but of sufficiient strength to enable many if not all to work. It does mean we will be parking and assembling in the usual spot, but likely flying off the "point" rather than the better "bowl". Still, at least its forecast dry, and Im sure we will all enjoy the weekend as ever.

I'll be there from around noon Saturday.

Evening all.

Well what a day...

Despite the wind being on the less favoured N.Wly slope, all in all a good days flying has been had.

The wind played full ball though at 6pm and backed onto the favoured W'ly and mixed with an increase in strength, gave all those willing to pull models back out of their cars an amazing 30 mins flying before it got too cold!

The forecast for tomorrow is looking much the same with lightish winds from the N.W. Still, tomorrow is another day and the weather people don't always get it right!!!

So heres a few shots from today.. (not that many myself but there will be more in the full write up for the PSSA Website.

100_0836a.jpg

Simon Cockers Bison takes to the air.

100_0839a.jpg

The Bison - Mid Flight

100_0842a.jpg

Bison on Finals.

100_0838a.jpg

Classic B52 Mid Sortie Flypast.

100_0846.jpg

And finally for tonight... Simon launches the mighty Canberra and almost forgets to let go!!

For those who could only make it today, Thankyou for coming. Its always good o see you.

For those coming for tomorrow only, See you up the Orme!!

Dave

Well, Back home safe and sound.

Car unloaded and some food had..

We have been blessed today with glorious sunshine, great views, some spectacular low flypasts from full size..... But alas, A general lack of wind.

It became an Electric assist flying day (which has its own merits) but needless to say, there was no PSS flying!

As mentioned earlier, A full write up will be posted on the PSSA website along with pics!

Dave.

wink

I was thwarted!

The intention was to come on the Sunday but my daughter, whose birthday was a week earlier decided that for a present (smile o) she'd like a day at... Llandudno. Wasn't my idea!

Seems a bit much though to take her for a day out then run off up the rock to play, so the plan was modified so that I would nip up there in the afternoon in the car and wife and daughter could walk up while I was playing then we'd resume the birthday day out after that.

As the day drew nearer I still didn't have my Tucano ready and the lightweight Typhoon would probably be just too light for the wind at the Orme (pah!), so I was put off a little by the lack of anything really PSS - still I could throw in the Fusion and the DG1000 just in case there's chance to give them a fling.

Sunday morning and about to get out of bed when bang, spasm through my right leg and left arm. The arm wasn't too bad but the leg was very painful and needed medication to relax the affected muscles. Problems here are that even with treatment it will normally take at least a week to get over it and the medication itself makes me drowsy. All in all the Great Orme was now off the plan.

Eventually I hobbled out to the car and my wife drove us to Llandudno. Annoyingly, would you believe, I could walk almost normally by midday, the medication was wearing off and it there was so little wind that my DG1000 with power pod, had I brought it, would have been one of the few aeroplanes would have flown.

Thwarted! There are other words for it!

Hopefully next time there won't be so many obstacles popping up and I will actually make it up there.