Royal b17 scratch build

Hi all I thought I would put my build up so people can either give me some pointers or maybe get some inspiration.

A little bit of background then. I used to build balsa aircraft with my dad when I was younger, and have recently rediscovered my love for the hobby. I looked around for a long time trying to find a model I liked. I wanted to make a biggish scale model. I looked at c130, lancasters, and finally decided on a b17 Flying Fortress 77" wingspan. Not too big and from looking at the plans not too challenging.

So I got the plans printed from a very kind gentleman on ebay. He really did a good job of rearranging the plans so they could be printed.

So I setup my front room. Sry to the mrs

I'm trying to upload photos but can't at the moment any help would be greatly appreciated

regards

adam

Advert

Hi Adam,

you had a couple of false starts on this thread so I've just tidied them up. No problem, but sometime you have to be a little bit patient when creating a new thread as it takes the machinery a moment or two to swing into action! There may be a short pause but it will work! smile

Regarding inserting photos - check out the Site Guides section here which has a number of tutorials on how to do all that sort of thing. There is also a thread known as "the Sandbox" which is just for users to "play around and experiment" without risking messing up a main stream thread. Enjoy!

BEB

Then the wing was sheeted

The plans called for one sheet to be used and the two corners that were cut were to be added to the front however I didn't have a sheet large enough so I used two sheets for each side.

image.jpg

Edited By Adam Ashford on 29/05/2013 15:51:29

Hi just a bit of an update. Having started on the wings I have encountered a few issues so I'm not as far along as I would have liked to have been.

first I had to wait a few more days than I would have liked for the balsa to arrive. Anyway I started cutting the rips etc. and fortunately noticed before cutting some parts to strenthen the wing ribs, I noticed that they were made out of 1/8 ply. Never mind so I had to go and find some more tools to cut the ply and also some ply. So I haven't really progressed that much but more will be done this weekend.

Has anyone built this plain on here? Also does anyone know where I can get the fibreglass dowels and also the canopy's any help greatly appreciated

some pics of my not to great progress.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forgot to mention the guy who printed my plans also did me a wing sheet. As the original plans only show one wing the recommend you to turn the plans over and oil them so you can see through to build the other side. The gentleman printed me a mirror image along side the real one so I don't need to do this

Adam

Looking good Adam, what are you doing about servos ? ........................if your fitting one in each wing you will find it difficult cutting the holes once the wing is built up (as I did) blush I now always cut the holes for servo wires before wing assembly. I will watch with interest well done

Hi all thank you for the kind comments, after doing alot of research for this build i have come to the conclusion of putting a mini/micro server in each nacelle for each engine. Also one for each aileron embedded in the wing, and I'm hoping to do flaps in the same manner. I also have some ideas on creating a bomb bay. But at the moment these are just ideas. I'm not sure on engine sizes yet but they will ic with a header tank in each nacelle and 4 main tanks in the wing. Again I found this out with a bit of research.

thanks again for the comments hopefully I will progress a little more tonight

Just a very brief update. I have nearly completed the second half of the wing. I know progress has been slow but I have many other things occupying my time at the moment.

so I have been thinking about power systems. The plans call for .10 to .25 two strokes. I wanted to go for the higher end of the power because I think I will be adding a little more weight than the orginal. Just wanted people's thoughts on these

image.jpg

Os la 25

or if anybody has some other ideas please let me know. Preferable cheap ish

cheers

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam looks like a nice job on the B17,same as the one I started some time ago and can't seem to get started on it again so I'm looking to you for some inspiration.I will be watching this build.

I got my cowls and canopys from a bloke on ebay called "us wing" at the same time that I bought the plans I don't know if he is still doing them.

Regards

Paul