Jodel D-120

john melia 1

Watching with interest. Just a heads up re the servos, if they are sd 200 size and if they have plastic gears then I'd give them a miss and fit similar sized ones with metal gears.

The sd 200 gears are flimsy and a brush in long grass with mine in my wot4 stripped the gears.

I actually had some protech ones with metal gears, swapped them and they were bullet proof btw, 2.6 Kg/cm.

Remember the small servos can take quite a lot of amps and hence you'll probably need a bit more than 1000mAh to keep the battery voltage up whilst flying.

2p supplied.

Advert

ok got a bit more done cheeky , laminated ply fuselage doublers , added sternposts , top and bottom longerons , and added formers , eddie says in the instructions to wet the fuselage sides with warm water to aid in geting the curvature correct , how effective is this method ?

thanks charles will have a look at the links now thumbs up

It's certainly an easier method, John, but on a scale model it doesn't seem right to have half a servo exposed, even on the underside of the wing. Here's another example of the method I suggested on the previous page, this time from my CG Cub. As you can see, all that is exposed is the servo arm:

A bit more work, perhaps, but a more pleasing result, I thinkthumbs up

Pete

Does the design really specify fully sheeted wings? No full size Jodel/Robin (metal ones excepted) has other than fabric covering from the main spar back. G-BDDF, on which the late, great DB based the model most definitely had ply under the fabric on fuselage, wing and tail plane leading edges. It seems a strange choice to fully sheet the flying surfaces.

well i did and i didn't percy , i knew that if i steamed it i could form a rough shape , but i didnt know about fastening it to a suitable former , and leaving it till it dries , but i do now , and thats the beauty of forums like these , full of good tips , from guys like your good self thumbs up

i also had to reshape the fusalage formers a bit because the ply wouldnt reach from side to side , same with the front ply decking .

Wow John, you are getting a move on. Its looking good too.

Plenty of space inside this one.

I have two weeks off work now, so no excuses to get my rescue job on the go again, or you will be flying before me.

The decking on my model was done by using lots of strips of balsa shaped and glued together, stuck on one by one.. The end result looks fine too. I have never tried steaming ply, sounds a bit tricky. But closer to scale.

Charles

hmmm yeah it was tricky charles , but probably only because its one of those things i've never done before , although i think even if i had , it would have sill been a bit fiddly .

I'm basically finished building now , i done the fin and stabiliser last night , so apart from sheeting the underside of the wing once i've got the two servos in , its just down to sanding , shaping the leading edge , rest of the servo installation , and covering .

It'll be flying next weekend blush no it wont cos i'll not be here next weekend

just a quick question , when sanding and shaping the leading edge , how can i ensure the profile is the same over the full length of the wing . I cant remember how i used to do it , in fact if i remember rightly the leading edge was already shaped on my models from the past .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

I have been on holiday so not looking at the computer!

Leading edge: I use a razor plane (David) and then various grades of sandpaper taped to a piece of wood. A good light helps. Make it as blunt/ round as possible, no sharp corners.

Tank: I used a Sullivan slant tank mounted sideways. The model when I got it had a SLEC 2 tone tank which had not leaked for 25 years so they are probably OK! Pressure test it and your pipes (block one blow into the other)

Battery: Sanyo Eneloop are brilliant. I suggest a 6V (5cell) pack if all of your radio components are compatible (some old servo's I have are not) Several of my models do have the 4.8v 4 cell packs with no problems, but I understand that 2.4 Ghz sets are more sensitive to low voltage, so the extra cell to my mind is extra safety.

I have flown my one succesfully. It is really heavy, (about 10lb or more) but flies just fine. Looks realistic when flown slowly! I started with the cg far forward, (guesswork) and need to move it back a bit more. Apparently it was from the Duncan Hutson plans. It is a little bigger than yours, but flies fine on an old OS 60 two stroke, it cruises at less than half power. Loops, rolls, inverted, stall turn and spins all OK. Steers with the rudder or the ailerons.

Charles