Back after 43 years...

Modonaut

Hello, I'm new to the forum and back building after about 43 years. I basically built for other people (about five r/c models) and had a few free flighters. I have always been very interested in aircraft construction and design. I don't really know how the interest sparked up again - my brother had gotten hold of an ARTF helicopter as a present and that got me thinking....

Anyway, after thinking I couldn't really get into all this stuff again with all that's involved, getting a building environment etc etc I went ahead anyway. I'm already started on a Ben Buckle Super Sixty for 4 channel and electric motor and have made contact with a local club, soon to be joined officially. I can possibly see why ARTF is so popular as getting set up for 'build your own' is quite expensive after all things are taken into account, although a lot of the gear is surprisingly cheap compared to what it was back in the day.

I wondered whether it was worth starting a blog on my building- I know quite a few otheres here have already done so, but maybe others are just starting a Super Sixty. No doubt I'll have quite a few questions to ask the experts here!

Edited By Modonaut on 04/06/2013 07:51:08

Edited By Modonaut on 04/06/2013 07:51:53

Advert

Hi Modaunaut, 43 years, thet must be some sort of record. They must have used valves in that epoque...The Super Sixty must be one of the most built kits ever, so there are already numerous blogs around. Of course, we're all interested in your progress, but I reckon that the best thing to do is to keep us up to date, and let us know of any issues that you have. You will benefit from a real wealth of knowledge here ernie

Thanks guys! One thing I've noticed is that anyone with building experience always do things quite different to each other. Maybe I'll just post major stages- obviously It's not really necessary to do a stick by stick progress... One thing is that I've had to devise a way of building the wings so they seperate- space is an issue. Getting the join and dehidral right will be critical. Currently I intend to split the centre section- each half joined to respective wing half. Location will be with a couple of moderately sized 'tongues' locating into a box affair each side. To hold two halves in position I'll use a couple of nylon bolts accessed from underneath centre section which wont be covered. As it's a trainer still, the whole shebang will still be attached by rubber bands.

Back in the late sixties/early seventies there was a fair bit of proportional gear about although nowhere near as sophisticated as what's available today.

hi Modonaut. My first ever RC plane was a Super 60. I fitted trike gear on it and it served me well for a year or two. I found a pic the other day and being b&w I tried to colour it as close as I could from memory. It was green and white with silver wings and I was real proud of it.

**LINK**

Welcome to the forum Modnaught!

When i did my Radio Queen I just added extra ribs and strengthening around the centre line, inserted brass tubing though the ribs in each wing panel and then used two slightly bent steel rods as the joiners with the required dihedral.

This makes it really easy to slide together (though you do need the bend neat or the tubes slightly inset from the outer edge) and i have had no issues with it.

The wings are held on with rubber bands and at 84" span it has been absolutely fine that way and no other form of retainer.

Good luck with the build

Posted by Mark Stringer on 04/06/2013 12:19:22:

Welcome to the forum Modnaught!

When i did my Radio Queen I just added extra ribs and strengthening around the centre line, inserted brass tubing though the ribs in each wing panel and then used two slightly bent steel rods as the joiners with the required dihedral.

This makes it really easy to slide together (though you do need the bend neat or the tubes slightly inset from the outer edge) and i have had no issues with it.

The wings are held on with rubber bands and at 84" span it has been absolutely fine that way and no other form of retainer.

Good luck with the build

Thanks Mark and thanks for the info- nice size 84 inches. I'd like my next model to be a bit bigger (than the S60) as obviously they fly better- might have to split the fuselage somewhere for storage's sake.

Posted by Panther1 on 04/06/2013 11:28:13:

hi Modonaut. My first ever RC plane was a Super 60. I fitted trike gear on it and it served me well for a year or two. I found a pic the other day and being b&w I tried to colour it as close as I could from memory. It was green and white with silver wings and I was real proud of it.

**LINK**

Hi Panther, the link doesn't work. I've got solarfilm Green, silver and dark yellow! You work with Photoshop?

Edited By Modonaut on 04/06/2013 13:11:24

Welcome back Modonaut from another returnee. I, like yourself, left model aircraft flying in 1967 (45 years ago). Not because I lost interest but lived in the then Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and sanctions prevented us getting any modelling stuff. Only available in South Africa. At that stage the first pulse radio equipment came out and a friend built a SS60 and flew it with a OS Pixie pulse system.

Whilst I understand the desire of instant gratification of artf or rtf planes I think many modern flyers miss the satisfaction of building their own planes. Also in not doing construction they probably don't also get to grips with aeronautical design and the reasons why aircraft behave the way they do.

Have been back in the hobby only a few months and acquired 2 artf planes. One was an epp sloper which needed assembly and the other was balsa glider which required minimal assembly. The balsa glider has been disappointingly poor in construction. It seems that either glue quality is poor or too little has been used.

Right now I am back to building a Tom Thumb off plan and all the good feelings of the hobby are back for me. The sheets of balsa turning into things of beauty. I have been lucky having a model designer of Stan Yeo's ability to help me make design changes for rc and electric power. But I know at the end that my heart will be in mouth again when it comes time to separate it from terra firma. If it flies I know I made a good job and if not then find out what went wrong.

May you also regain the thrill of the hobby you remember. Modern rc equipment has made it even more satisfying.

Rob

Hi Rob, glad to hear you are back with the flying models. Yes, like you I was never ever taken with ARTF models simply because I also like building. Another thing, as you mention, you become more involved with the process and therefore acheive a better understanding of what's going on and why. Having built quite a few airplanes in the distant past I also find myself questioning the way they have been designed and the sometimes odd construction sequence- not mentioning any names but I'm also constructing a Super Sixty at this very moment and it's obvious to me this model was originally designed for free flight and not R/c.
I'm spending quite a lot of time with the Phoenix flight simulator to help with orientation, other than that I don't think the experience there in many ways is too helpful. I would get pretty annoyed if someone trod on my model, but if it crashes I suppose you have to accept that as part of the game.
I too was quite taken aback at the progress and miniaturisation of radio stuff and also to some extent the price of bits and pieces. All the best to you in your endeavours and happy landings!

Modonaut

Pleasing to hear you have similar thoughts Modonaut.

I can highly recommend the simulator although it seems it is unhelpful. I can assure you it is very useful.

I am into gliding primarily because Joe Public has made things very difficult for power flying. I used CRRC Sim which is primarily aimed at gliding and also I don't have access to Windows(tm) based computers. I spent many hours (100+) on the simulator through the winter and it has paid off. Your reactions to situations and orientation become second nature. I have found that flying the real thing I have not had to consciously think about what I am doing. The biggest challenge has been getting used to the reaction of the slope soarer which can be a handful but by adjusting the expo this has made it much easier.

I was flying Butser Hill in Hampshire last weekend with 2 other local lads. I was asking advice of one of them that had been flying 33 years about my next move in terms of a pure glider. I suggested a stage 2 and his remark was that technically I can move straight to a intermediate aerobatic glider. I put this down purely to the fact that I have many hours on the simulator.

Hope your SS60 is coming on well. Also hope you have someone experienced with you when it comes to the maiden flight.

Rob