Outdoor activities - boots

Major

Hi all.

I am looking for proper pair of boots and need some help. I have found some intresting stuff on Fleabay, but would like to see what can
you tell me about it.

Cordura

Boots

I want something militry-like, as in my opinion this is the best stuff. Worth mentioning is the fact that I'm not gonna use them for any games, paintball ect. I have the privilege to be the volounteer at RIAT (Park and view team), will be there for 8 days and shifts are long, so good boots are must have. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Tom

Note to mods - I know how to insert links. My phone just does not let me do it. Sorry.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 08/06/2013 08:31:35

Advert

I bought a pair of short motorcycle boots from Lidl several years ago, very easy to put on, comfortable, warm, waterproof and cheap. I used them when slope soaring in winter. I think they cost me £16, certainly not more than 20.

They, and the other cut price store often have short lived deals on similar items, ski clothing etc. worth looking out for.

Edited By Chris P. Bacon on 08/06/2013 08:22:53

Different price range - but any of the Merrel Gore-Tex lined boots will be comfortable from the moment you put them on, and while waterproof they also breathe, if the car park you're supervising is grass both are essential. You won't regret buying them, excellent for flying too.

I have trouble getting comfortable footgear.

I was trying to buy boots and had a conversation in the posh outdoor gear shop. I was told that there are two standard shapes of last - that is, the shape that boots are made upon. One is a southern european shape, the other, a northern european shape.

If I remember correctly, the northern shape is wider and blunter than the southern longer more pointed style.

If, like me, you have northern feet then you either buy boots and shoes in bigger sloppy sizes, or you buy them based upon the northern last.

The one company that (I believe) uses the northern last is Brasher. I have a pair of Brasher walking boots that are miles more comfortable that most of my other shoes.

Of course, most cheap shoes are made with the southern last.

Plummet

p.s. Yes I know that this is supposed to be an aeromodelling forum!

Thanks a lot for posts gents. Now I know what I should look for.

I had a look onto links/brands and think of Hi Tecs or Bates. Boots from Merrel seem to be very good choice, but in fact a little bit too pricey. I have no idea on the car park I'm gonna work at, but hope that weather will be nice anyway - this will be my first airshow ever...

Thing that concerns me a little is quite mixed feedback on them, but from other side, excluding long time of wearing for few days, I'm not gonna do anthing more extreme than "jump to the nearest shop without safety rope". If Phill's wife could wear them for few years, then they must be ok .

Once more thanks.

Regards
Tom

My wife has the same problems, she walks the dogs in the morning, sometimes across the fields. Wellies last 3 months max and are not that comfortable and rigger boots are too heavy. Sometimes its a size 5 or sometimes a 51/2. They need to be waterproof, comfortable and durable. Still looking for that magic boot!

Me, I only have one pair of shoes, black safety shoes at £29. Last two years then get another pair. simples! teeth 2

Try either the 'assualt boots, high leg' these come in narrow, standard and wide versions of all sizes, or Jungle boots for the summer (not waterproof).

The other ones to try out are Magnums, including the deseert pattern ones.

Olly

My 10p.

I would avoid any surplus military boots, they are surplus for a reason - there worn out to a point where even a quartermaster will accept they've had it which forces him to issue another pair.

Secondly, IMHO HITEC magnums are rubbish. I've been provided with many pairs (in all flavours) and they are cheaply made and not that comfortable and seem to have a one size fits all sizing chart. Jungle boots are only useful in the jungle, they offer no lateral stability and your feet will be wet in minutes.

Some of the newer military boots (mostly gortex and germanic alpine style boots) are fantastic, but you will pay for them.

I would recommend a good pair of all leather walking boots. I have a brown pair of ankle high Scarpa boots (goretex), they are now over 10 years old, were super comfy from day one (i did Pen-y-fan the day after i bought them) and they have had been used on multiple mountain climbing trips in the Slovenian Alps, Pyrennes and many places in the UK. I think I paid about £90 for them, but they are earned there money.

Reno Racer
You have some good points here. I didn't think of surplus stock this way... Last time I saw 1st grade hand selected on ebay for 22 posted. However, I did some more research and not too sure anymore.

Olly
I checked some assault boots, but comments on them are very mixed. I remember a pair of typical "skinhead boots" from Poland. They were great, I had them nearly four years, but during breaking in my feet were bleeding baldy.

I will look for boots some more, if nothing takes my fancy, will get a pair of Karimor's mountain boots. Not waterproof, but in general very comfortable.

Cheers
Tom

Posted by Reno Racer on 12/06/2013 19:12:32:

My 10p.

I would avoid any surplus military boots, they are surplus for a reason - there worn out to a point where even a quartermaster will accept they've had it which forces him to issue another pair.

Actually Surplus comes in 3 grades:

A-Grade has never been issued, essentially it is cheaper for the factory to keep running and sell direct to civilian market than to change over to produce a different product

Grade 1 - a part which has been used but is evaluated as being 're-issuable'

Grade 2 - knackered.

Different boots suit different people, the key to any purchase is trying them on and walking round in them.