Building my Aviat 110 Special

Advert

Finally completed my Aviat 110 Special today and did ground runs to get the engine set up.

All up weight is 6 lbs 9 ounces which gives a wingloading of 24.78 ounces per sq.ft.

The CG came out exactly on the mark with no added balance weight needed. I must just live right!

All the diamonds are courtesy of Tim at Modelmarkings.

aviat complete_3.jpg

aviat complete_6.jpg

aviat complete_7.jpg

aviat complete_9.jpg

aviat complete_11.jpg

No, Spats a re not splayed. it is the effect of a wide angle angle

lens

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yesterday evening I finally tried a test flight.

For some reason there was a total lack of response to the huge ailerons. Rudder and elevators responded well but of course with no dihedral the rudder had little effect after take off.

Luckily the damage will be easy to repair. After analysis I feel that more down thrust and some extra side thrust might help plus even more throw on the ailerons.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has been a long wait but at last the repaired and modified AViat 110 has been flown.

I can say that it is a hairy little beast but with some more fine adjustments to throws etc it should be quite reasonable.

It may look like a Cub but anyone thinking it would be a nice docile model will be in for a big surprise.

One thing that was really a shock is that the rudder is incredibly powerful. Hit too much rudder and the model will try and turn on its back instantly which is unsual considering the total lack of dihedral.

You don't try and float the model in to a landing as the ailerons start losing authority if it gets too slow.

I will post pictures later

Edited By Peter Miller on 23/09/2013 08:49:18

• 7 months later...

gotta say WOW !!! again ..just sent a PM ...This is so excellent !!!!

LOVE the pix of the flights, looks like the real thing that aai saw a couple years back at the AAA (Antique Airplane Assoc. ) fly-in .........SO Excellent !!! Looking at the airframe and construction ...thinking you nailed this one in most every way ! CONGRATS Peter !! (man am I glad I happend back on this site ..has been a couple years !)

Please let me know when this one gets published !!!!!! I need to ad a set of the plans to my collection !

Cheers 

Clipwing /aka Lynn L.

Edited By Clipwing on 05/05/2014 21:37:44

• 6 months later...

Thanks for that. The model may look beautiful but it flew like a pig. On the first flight it refused to respond t ailerons. On the second flight, after mods, it did fly a bit better and we got some flying shots.

On the thord flight it was almost uncontrollabe . IT ended up 400yards away at about 10 feet above the ground. Somehow I managed to get it back to withing 20 yards of the strip.

Everyone agreed that they had never seen a model so far away and so out of control actually brought back so close to the strip.

Considering that the CG was at 25 % which is a very safe position I just don't know what was wrong. It has nw beeen placed in my old outside workshop. Maybe one day I will summon the courage to try something but I don't know what.