Building my Aviat 110 Special

I have had a love afaiir with the Monocupe series and the 110 Clipwing Special in particular. The problem is hiding the engine and some of the shape around the nose.

Then several years ago I found the Aviat 110 Special. A Clipwing with a 200 hp Lycoming. A highly aerobatic aircraft. It may look like a Cub, trust me, it isn't.

The main problem, there was only one and the colour scheme is diabolical, Then Tim at Model Markings gave me a quote that was most reasonable. I was ready to start.

The drawings took much longer than usual because the 3-views that I had were more of a sketch. I used Monocoupe drawings, photos and the Aviat 3-views. IT is pretty accurate now.

There is a lot of building but it does make a nice change from my usual construction.

Basically you could say that it is a bit like a Super 60 with bells on.

aviat_1.jpg

Basic sides

aviat_2.jpg

THose formers are 8" X 10". The model is 1/5th scale for a .52 four stroke.

aviat_4.jpg

Wing attachments are motorcycle spokes.

aviat_5.jpg

Undercarriage plate.It is easier to attach front legs before installing plate. But solder the wires later.

aviat_6.jpg

Fitting the front three formers to one side. Make sure everything is dead square.

aviat_7.jpg

Fitting thew other side, squareness is vital.

aviat_11.jpg

The basic fuselage assmebly. Takes some powerrful bands to pull the sides in.

Advert

Putting some more pictures up now.

aviat_12.jpg

Front view showing the engine mounting box.

aviat_13.jpg

Close up of the box. I have since trimmed the top to allow one to see the fuel level in the tank.

aviat_14.jpg

Another view of the box. The tube for the elastic band to hold the struts in place and the rear U/C leg can be fitted now.

aviat_17.jpg

Subsiduary side formers fitted and the tube ands rear leg fitted.

aviat_18.jpg

Side sheet and 1/16" ply window frames fitted. Also front portion of instrument panel being built.

aviat_23.jpg

Instrument panel covered with 3/32" sheet.

aviat_25.jpg

The cowl is held on with keyhole slots. This is the small catch that allows the cowl to drop a small distance and come forward.

aviat_27.jpg

The rear cowl former on its screws and the front cowl former is located using a scrap 1/2" sheet disc glued to the spinner backplate.

aviat_28.jpg

The 1/4"sq stringers fitted between the formers ready for skinning with 1/8" balsa sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

Been some time since I updated this blog. Here goes.

2 (2).jpg

Stringers added.

2 (3).jpg

Underside showing battery platform in case I need to move it back.

2 (4).jpg

Top view of cabin. Servo tray in bottom for rudder and elevator servos. Throttel servo goes under read window.

2 (5).jpg

Cowl with blocks roughly shaped

Now we can start on the wing

2 (9).jpg

Basic wing laid out.

2 (10).jpg

The bottom spars are laminated from 1/16" X 1/4" spruce and are shaped by pinning down on the curved supports shown hatched.

2 (11).jpg

Top spar fitted and the aileron spar and leading edge

2 (13).jpg

The two wings joined. You can bhuild them as one if your board is long enough.

2(14).jpg

Close up of the centre section showing how thewings are joined with solid spruce or ply between the spars. also the beech blocks added for the wing hold downs

2 (12).jpg

Starting construction of the ailerons. These have to be shaped to match the under side of the wing

• 4 weeks later...

I love the Monococupe series and this is one that has a cowling that will hide the engine. 52 FS, not 30 FS!

In fact the cowl is not that hard to do, less work than a scratch built fibreglass unit.

I am now doing the covering. All the little diamonds are being done by Model Markings!

I am using Deluxe products Aliphatic resin for 90% of the gluing, especially the spars. There isn't much strain on the spar curve really so doubt if delaminating will be a problem.

With the temperature in my workshop at over 27C even first thing in the morning progress has been slowed up but now I have done quite a bit more.

The wire undercarriage is filled out with 3/16" sheet.

aviat blog 2_17.jpg

And then skinned with 1/64" ply

aviat blog 2_19.jpg

The spats are laminated from 1/2" sheet with 1/16" ply sides. Later 3/16" sheet is added to doend the sides out. They are mouned using collets

aviat blog 2_20.jpg

The collets are soldered to copper clad glassfibre PCB board.

aviat blog 2_21.jpg

Struts are cosmetic only but are made from spruce

aviat blog 2_22.jpg

Strut ends are made as shown .

aviat blog 2_23.jpg

And then filled and faired with car body filler

aviat blog 2_26.jpg

The fairing and windscreen top is made from laminations of 1/16" balsa former round the leading edge of the wing.

aviat blog 2_25.jpg

Very good work Peter.love the colour scheme .looks like a little dumpling,all fat and stubby.is the dyhedral from root to tip.or is it just from near the end of the wings?..Your designs are fantastic.but..not to sure about your fairing method on the rear.but better than i could do for sure lol.keep up the good work..My votes for the yak 18....i.c.in the future..or a dauntless .no hurry.but this looks fun, really fun

so you bent the main spars??ok,i guess this way there wouldn't be a kink in the wings,like an sharp change in the wing shape at the tips, or did you cut the lower spar then do the sweep.i donno i've never seen this done .Seems like a good way to continue the flow of the wing shape though .for sure i'd mess it up

cartoon bulldog--funny

If you look at the photos for the wing construction, you will see that the lower spar is laminated from two layers 1/16" X 1/4 spruce. Inboard of the tip there is an extra layer of 1/8" X 1/4" which brings it up to 1/4" sq. The tip is formed on those curved supports.

The top spar is 1/8" X 1/4" with a layer of 1/8" X 1/4" inboard of the tip.