Another Biplane?! Pegasus models Jester

Advert

I have one of these which went through it's maiden flight a couple of weeke ago, unfortunately it needed a bit of re-alignment due to wing incidence but looks like it might be a nice flyer, I built it circa 20 odd years ago and never flew it before laying off.

Just got back into flying and modelling and passed my A test today for fixed wing so it is going to see some air time. Mine has an OS 25 fsr installed up front and didn't lack power just hope it trims ok next time.

Mine originally was a Galaxy Models Kit

Progress is good, I have had other things to do but she is still moving on nicely.

Both wings are now red with just the bottom ailerons and white sunbursts on the top wing to do. Control surfaces on the fuselage are hinged, pin hinges roughed up and glued in with PVA like the Domino.

I put her together and she looks superb! A lovely little aeroplane and a build I have enjoyed a lot. I also weighed her at this point, so that is without prop, spinner, ailerons and that servo, fuel tank, receiver and battery and she came out at 2 pounds 10 ounces, which is excellent. C of G looks good too.

I really do like this plane a lot, although it is yet to be flown I do think that it is a brilliant design, and great value even with a slightly more expensive Saito engine, which I think is necessary! More people should have one in my opinion, and if it flies even nearly as well as the Domino then it will be excellent.

I'll do the sunbursts and get her together for pictures tomorrow, then I am off to France for 2 weeks.

CS

Here she is all covered without the lower wing ailerons, and with her bigger sister Domino.

Domino and Jester

Jester covered

The white Domino is a bit blurry in some pictures due to the sun and reflectiveness of white solarfilm.

They are basically the same design, but the outline is a bit different with the Jester being more straight lines while the Domino has a larger, more curvaceous shape. I like both, they are lovely aeroplanes from my eye, and I am pleased to have both. Tomorrow I am off to France for two weeks, so the few bits left to do will happen then, and then engine running in can begin which I am looking forwards to.

Please posts your thoughts!

CS

Looks great CS! I love the colour scheme. Don't forget to put the lower alierons on before the maiden lol.
I think I will change the u/c on mine too.
Please add some closeups of your top wing alieron couplings and don't forget to review her on here.

Hopefully the maiden will go without mishaps

Thanks, I'll do the lower ailerons tomorrow. Shame I can't take it to France to finish it, somehow I think that Easyjet will be a bit reluctant to allow a biplane as hand luggage!

I'll get pictures of the aileron couplings once I have it all connected after France, I think I will do them similarly to what Steve Hargreaves has done with his Pitts if I steal his picture.

I am looking forwards to the first flight, I am going to bind her to Dad's TX so we can fly the Jester and Domino together which will be fun!

CS

• 2 weeks later...

I was in France when you posted: no, not yet. But now I am back progress continues and I should finish her tomorrow, the fuselage control surfaces are done so the fuselage is basically there, and the ailerons should be done by today. Then this week it is engine running in time and throttle set up, then flying when we get a nice enough day.

CS

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 18/07/2013 16:35:52:

Not much interest in this aeroplane, is there?! Anyhow, there is very little covering to do now, just the bottom ailerons really so in two weeks when I am back I'll connect everything and then we are done.

CS

CS, at this moment this thread shows 997 views against 36 posts (37 with this one). As you are not asking questions there's not a lot to respond to, but obviously people are looking on!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/08/2013 14:48:46

Interesting, time for some maths! Let's work out the views per post for some build threads to really see the popularity of this aeroplane compared to others.

• This Jester one: 1,003 views / 38 replies (including this one) = 26.4 views per reply.
  • Tony H's Jester thread: 2,109/64 =32.9 views per reply.
  • My Domino thread: 13,794/336 = 41 views per reply.
  • My Cambrian Spitfire thread: 1,365/31 = 44 views per reply.

So we can see that both Jester threads have not been as popular as the Domino, despite it being basically the same aeroplane, and the Spitfire thread- with no build started yet- beats all, just because it is a Spitfire probably! Quite interesting, hopefully if the Jester goes well then more people will be interested in it, because I love it.

CS

I hate to say it CS but I think the Jester looks better than the Domino and with the extra power and added top Alierons should perform well too. I may change mine to top Alierons over winter. Can't wait to find out how your maiden goes and what your final review will be.

I think there isn't much interest on these Galaxy/Pegasus Kits mainly because they have been around since the 70's (even though we mod them) and many guys on the forum have seen them before, and most younger guys are about 90-95% ARTF bods.

No, it is fine! Aerodynamically they are basically the same but they are quite different; I like the looks of both, my Domino is quite different to the original design but the Jester outline is standard Jester, which also looks great in both my colour scheme and yours! Life wouldn't be right if people didn't have preferences, so I don't mind if you prefer the Jester.

Shame there isn't really, I do like them even if they are old, they can fly the wings off of a lot of other planes I have found!

CS

Yes that is true, with modern electronics, lightening and a snazy colour scheme (of your own choice) I can't see why they aren't more popular. My Magician flew extremely well much better than similar ARTF of the sam price range and much stronger......well until it hit the deck at 90mph!

I have just changed the U/C on my Jester to a all aluminium one, the wire bends back too often on the kit ones.

Edited By Tony H on 03/08/2013 18:26:10

Finished! Here she is, the aileron joiners are made but not on in these pictures and I just need to put some varnish on the cabanes this evening to dry overnight which will take seconds. My Jester biplane...

Finished

This is my favourite shot below...

And once again with her bigger and slightly more curvy sister.

So there, next stage is engine running in and Spitfire building.

CS

Nice Work CS I really like it, I hope it flies as good as she looks.I have managed to Roll my Jester now after a dive (Max Speed) and thats with bottom Ailerons only! Please update us on how your Maiden goes.

Here's my Jester with.....tacky pilot lol

20130428_103958.jpg

20130428_104020.jpg

JESTERS RULE!!!! LOL

Edited By Tony H on 05/08/2013 17:04:53