How much flap to use

SkippyUK

Just got the new HK Fiesler Storch and it's my first plane with flaps.

I think I understand how to program the flaps and have seen pilots use them for many years but here's my question;-

The flaps on the Storch can go from flat or 0 degrees to about 90 degrees but how much would you recommend I use on this type of aircraft.

It's not been up in the air yet as I'm still setting up the radio (DX8) with variable flap using the dial.

As this is supposed to be a STOL, should I program it so I can use 90 degrees flap or is that too much?

How much flap can be used for takeoff?

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

For those interested the Storch, it looks the part but is very lightly built - especially the undercart.

Will report back how it flies when I get these flaps sorted out.

Skippy

Advert

If by the dial you mean the rotary knob on the top edge of the Tx, Skippy, I wouldn't use it for flap control initially, as you'll probably have quite enough to think about with possible trim changes and the knob isn't that readliy accessible

Application of flaps frequently means adding some elevator compensation and, depending on the model, it can be either up or down.

I'd start by having two stages of flap on the 3-position flap switch - 0 for no flap, then about 10 deg for stage 1 and 30 deg for stage 2.

Then take off without flap and climb to a safe height before moving the flap switch to stage 1 and see how she reacts - there may be no obvious effect but the likelihood is she'll pitch up or down. If it isn't too severe, try stage 2 and see what happens there. Land and add any elevator compensation in the flap settings menu.

Once you're happy with the knowledge of how she reacts to flap, you can then increase the settings to whatever suits you and move control to the rotary knob if you wish. I'd have thought 70-75 deg is probably about as much as is likely to be useful with the Storch, but you'll have to let us know!teeth 2

Pete

After about 25 - 30 degrees or so there's no useful additional lift generated and the flaps act mainly as speed brakes - very useful for high wingloaded slippery airframes but possibly not needed for a draggy Storch.

Try to find out the full-sized settings as a guide but as you've said it's very lightly built, I suspect that 30 degrees maximum might be all that's needed for landings at a very low airspeed.

Useless fact of the day? Due to its high drag, the full sized Storch does fewer "miles to the gallon" than a Spitfire!

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/06/2013 23:36:33

Thanks guys, I''ll start off as you suggest and see what happens.
I had never noticed a non-glider using 90degrees of flap but the servos and rods on the storch certainly appear to be setup for big throws.
I'll probably move the rods to a hole nearer the centre of the arm.
Skippy

Personally I do use the knob on the top of my Tx for flaps.

Flaps create the biggest trim change as they are moving and a knob allows them to moved in small increments giving time for the plane to settle into the new flight characteristics.

Full size normally used no flap for take off but 20 degrees could be used for difficult conditions. Full flap (70 degrees) was only used for landing where a very steep approach was required.

But then that's what a Storch is all about! wink 2

Good point, Simon. I fly finger and thumb Mode 2 and wouldn't feel comfortable trying to manipulate the knob at the same time.

The advantage with the DX8 is that I can vary the servo speed on each channel, so I tend to set flap operation to 2, 3 or more seconds which allows the gradual transition of trim.

Yes, a Storch is on my 'to-do' list.....one day!teeth 2

pete

Pete

I fly thumb mode 2 and thus my forefinger is available to 'roll' the flap knob round as required but then I have to 'make do' with my vintage Futaba Skysport 6!

SkippyUK

What ever you do practise at height first and get used to proper flying with the flaps down so you can 'go round' again if needs be.