Balancing Spinners

Keith Berriman

Advert

Depends on the spinner......if it has a hole through the "point" it can be balanced in two parts...the cone & the backplate using a balancer such as this.... (this is the balancer I have) I use small pieces of duct tape on the light side to add a balancing weight....stuck to the inside surface of course....wink 2

You'd be surprised how far out some ally spinners actually are.....

For spinners without a central mounting hole (usually the moulded plastic type) then I don't see how you could balance the cone part....someone else may know...embarrassed

I bought a Du-Bro balancer so I could balance spinners too. You can arrange it so the balance shaft hangs out to one side rather than being suspended in the middle. I found one of the Ali backed Irvine spinners needed some work to get right. Still runs out of true at the tip mind...

Thanks for the responces If I was to drill a hole as best possible in the centre of a plastic spinner would this be a good starting point to get the balance shaft through ?? join the backplate and spinner together not sure about the screw fixings giving some off set Going into work shop now to try

Well "good enough" isn't really good enough if you get my meaning......unless you can get it absolutely dead centre then you simply won't be able to balance the spinner cone properly which kind of defeats the object really......

Why the desire to balance the spinner....do you have a specific vibration problem? Tell us a bit more.....I know the vast majority of modellers would never think of balancing a spinner.....its only pedants & people who don't get out enough like me who would balance their spinners....teeth 2

IC will always vibrate.....its the nature of the beast. You can't balance a single cylinder engine.

Electric it should be possible to get just about zero vibration......is the motor mounting solid? We are guilty of putting very light firewalls in some electric models & these can allow some vibration.

Obvious thing to try but does it vibrate without the spinner fitted? If it does then the spinner ain't the problem....