Where does aerial photography end and FPV begin?

I have a 450 sized quad with a Go-Pro camera mounted on a gimbal that I use for videoing some kayaking and other odds and ends. Not commercial - just for fun. I am considering adding a short range FPV set up to it so that I can use a small TX mounted monitor to ensure correct framing of shots. Figured it might also be cool to give "rides" on a 42" TV mounted on the back of my camper at our model club show, again with the pilot flying in constant line of sight as per normal flying.

However I am aware that UK FPV rules dictate that all FPV flights should be with unaided eyesite of a co-pilot. So where does FPV begin? Is it when the pilot is wearing goggles? A shrouded monitor? Or does a screen on TX count! (if this is the case does the FPV PNP Hubsan model have warnings about needing a co-pilot etc?

Dont really want to spend a lot of money on a system I can never use on my own but the picture framing ability would save a lot of time, effort and frustration, and is it really any different than checking a timer or looking downto see if the runways clear on approach?

Thanks.

There are times that I cant even have that in the middle of an inaccessable gorge etc. i know what it is I want to do, i want to fly my quad LOS taking the occasional glance at a small monitor to see if the framing is right. Question is am I legal in doing this or would it be classed as FPV therefore negating any support from the BMFA and potentially landing me in hot water with the CAA.

• 1 month later...

"You only need a Spotter, that is a person with good eyesight and the commonsense to point out where your model is if you lose video. They do not have to be a modelflyer just someone competant to watch and point "

We're having some problems at my club concerning our first FPV member (he's clocked over 200 fpv flights) and what we believe he can and can't do.

On arrival we made him buy a trainer to complete his 'A' and now he's flying fpv again with his spotter. The next step would appear to be our telling him that his spotter should also hold a fixed wing 'A' - what's the general view on that one ?

cheers

roger

It sounds a bit Luddite to me.

The other thing of course is that the Achievement Scheme is designed to be about personal achievement and not some form of 'Licence' If someone is causing 'problems' then it might be better to address those areas directly than to twist the AS to fit. Without knowing what the specific problems are, its a bit hard to say.

stu k

Absolutely NO requirement for the spotter to hold any form/ level of BMFA(or any other organisation) achievement certificate. Cant see any need for it myself and its not required by the BMFA. The spotters main purpose is to advise of the model planes position and any potential aerial conflicts. But, as a club you could always change your own rules to be more stringent! Seems unduly harsh and restrictive though!