Retford MFC Retro Day

Steve Dunning

I have been given permission to hold a Retro event at the clubs field at North Leverton on October 13. The field is a 5 1/2 acre site and will have barbecue facilities on the day. Toilet facilities are on site so the question is answered for those hoping to bring alon their better halves (always seems to be a question they ask). More details nearer the date.

• 1 month later...

As already stated, barbecue facilities will be available from lunchtime to cook your own food. I have asked that fliers have a minimum of an 'A' certificate, just to get an idea of their competancy. If, however, someone wanted to come along, a 'helper' could stand with them whilst flying in case of difficulties. Tea and coffe available FOC all day and there is no fee for flying at this event. Retford MFC have kindly offered to run a raffle with proceeds going to the UKCAA to help with set-up. We are now only a year away from the Vintage Nationals in September, 2014. With that in mind, I have already had two offers of sites to hold low key competitions next year. The future looks good.

• 5 weeks later...

Final details:

Date: 13 October
Time: 10am to 5pm
Venue: Club field near North Leverton
Facilities: On site toilet, BBQ available to cook your own food, free tea and coffee all day. 5 acre field, all close mown.
Pilots: Minimum of 'A' certificate required.
Models: Any 'classic' type up to 1986, particularly aerobatic models. United Kingdom Classic Aerobatic Association pilots in attendance to answer questions on aerobatics, with a view to the Vintage Nationals being held in September 2014 at Barkston Heath.
Raffle in aid of UKCAA
Come along and view a more cost effective way of pattern flying.

Could potential visitors/fliers please contact me beforehand so that the club has an idea on projected numbers attending.

Steve D

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let people know, there will still be a presence on the field tomorrow even with the inclement weather forecast. This will be from 09.00hrs through to 1300.00hrs. If an improvement in the weather is evident, then for a longer period of time. For those who have long journeys I perfectly understand if you do not wish to make the journey.

We will keep in touch through this site or the UKCAA site. 2014 looks like being a good year!

Best wishes

Steve

Steve, I've just looked on XCWeather and it's showing 15-31 mph winds with what looks like a steady drizzle. Add in a 2 hour+ drive each way and I'm out, sorry. At least peparing for it pushed me to swap out the motor in the Tornado and service the 61SF that came out. Stainless main bearing as per Terry's suggestion.

As for 2014, I might even get the Mustfire's wings started by then!

Well, after a very wet and windy start to the day, nobody was more surprised than me to see patches of blue sky around 12.30. The clubhouse emptied very quickly, cars moved to the pits area and flying commenced!

Some new models on show, Martin Fox had his Denis Hammond 'Spectre' and his brother Graham brought along his 'Calypso'. Martyn K made his first appearance with an Astro Hog and a 25 size Curare. In total, nine pilots attended and expressed their thanks for organising the event.

A draw was held for some donated prizes and everyone left, very contented that an afternoon's flying could take place.

Thank you to the Retford Club for allowing the use of their field and clubhouse for the day.

What an amazing afternoon. I was a bit late arriving due to getting lost (sat nav died en route and I didn't think about even printing off the location before I left) and family commitments meant an early start and detour.

Absolutely great fun, nice and relaxed and even a numpty pilot like me was allowed to play without feeling embarrassed. That I really appreciated.

I took over 200 photos yesterday - whittled then down to 100 last night and I'll try and get some uploaded here and on the website tonight.

Many thanks to Steve for organising this and also to the Retford club for letting us fly off their lawn - no joke - the grass is better and the ground smoother than my personal patch at home. A superb flying field.

I am really looking forward to the next one. Roll on!

Best wishes

Martyn

Posted by Phillip Wigley on 14/10/2013 09:45:52:

Great day I have some photos to contribute. How do I uplaod them anybody Steve or Philg?

Hi Phil

At the top of the forum page - in the red bar, click on Albums. Create a new Album with a useful name and then click edit photos to add new photos. You can upload upto 5 at a time.

When you have got them uploaded, come back here, start a new reply, click on the camera icon and select your picture.

Remember to click <enter> at the end of each line to seperate the photos and text.

look forward to seeing them.

Martyn

Here is a few photos from the day...

retford2013-001.jpg

retford2013-005.jpg

I think this is the Spectre

retford2013-008.jpg

retford2013-016.jpg

retford2013-018.jpg

retford2013-020.jpg

and this is the Calypso

retford2013-024.jpg

Yes - the sky really was that blue!

retford2013-032.jpg

retford2013-033.jpg

retford2013-034.jpg

retford2013-048.jpg

retford2013-052.jpg

Dave Smith Smart Move. Amazingly smooth - lighting was a bit poor though

retford2013-059.jpg

Just one thumb,, The Sharkface coped with the blustery conditions remarkable well

retford2013-062.jpg

retford2013-064.jpg

retford2013-069.jpg

An electric Bullet. comparison with a 20 odd year old original showed very little difference

retford2013-073.jpg

retford2013-076.jpg

retford2013-079.jpg

retford2013-080.jpg

retford2013-083.jpg

Terry Westrop's Upset II

retford2013-084.jpg

retford2013-085.jpg

retford2013-086.jpg

The famous collection of historic transmitters - I believe all converted to 2.4Ghz

retford2013-087.jpg

Ken Binks Adagio built by Steve

retford2013-088.jpg

retford2013-094.jpg

retford2013-095.jpg

Upset II finishing off a fine aftern