Bat Servo & Rx

Ian Rayne

Hi Ive just built a 60 size Seagull Edge 540 and I would like to power my Optima 7 Rx and 6 digital servos seperatley which Ive never done before, This may be simple to a lot of you but I just dont want to damage anything buy the trial and error method.

Thanks

Ian

Advert

Hi Ian, it's pretty easy.

1. Firstly remove the shorting link from the "SPC" socket on the Rx. Removing this link isolates the Rx power from the servo power rail.
  2. You then plug your selected receiver battery into the SPC socket (can be anything from 4.8v to 35v so an ordinary 4 or 5 cell (4.8v or 6v (better)) NiMh or NiCd pack is OK but a 2S LiPo would be ideal. If using a LiPo remember to remove from the aircraft and take the usual precautions when charging.
  3. Next, the servo battery pack plugs into the battery/servo socket (or any spare channel) using a Y lead if necessary. Unsless you are using high voltage servos (7.4v) you will need a 4 or 5 cell NiMh or NiCd pack. You mention digital servos so should look at a 5 cell high mAh pack such as Eneloops or again, a 2S LiPo if using high voltage types..

You will need a separate switch harness for each pack (unless you are able to make up your own double pole switch and will need to make arrangements to charge each pack separately (outside the aircraft if LiPos.

If you are flying electric, you can power the Rx (SPC) input direct from the motor battery - refer pg 21 in the Aurora manual for that.

Hope this helps, Rob

That's interesting; never having had anything other than Futaba, I wasn't aware that the Optima allows you to split the receiver and servo power like that.

But I'm not sure I see what you gain by doing it; whenever I split the power supply I have one supply going to receiver and most of the servos, and a separate supply going to retracts -- doesn't sound like the Optima setup caters for that possibility, or does it?

I would still use a dedicated power pack split in the conventional way for retracts.

My understanding of the rationale for the SPC port is so that the receiver circuitry can be isolated from the loading (brownouts) that could possibly be caused by simultaneous operation of high current digital servos. As well, with electric powered aircraft it enables the receiver (not the servos) to be fed directly from the motor battery There are numerous posts on various forums as well as info on the manufacturer's website with further info.

Are you sure that this is a good idea. You now have two separate power supplies, both of which are critical for flight.

Dual power supplies, where each pack powers the whole airborne system are a good idea and ought to reduce the odds of battery failure to near zero. Separating RX & Servo power takes the odds the other way and doubles the risk of failure.

just a thought

stu k