AcroWot Foam-e setup - Always climbing

Stevo

Hi all...

I beg of your help embarrassed

One stock AcroWot Foam-e, Stock motor, CoG 75mm as in the plan.. Had to add 20g at the rear though. All control sufaces installed correctly (difficult to do otherwise!!)

Problem...

Takes off great.. but immediately goes vertical.. Half throttle, level flight, throtlle up and it goes into a steep climb. Around 2mm of down elevator needed for level flight.

Bought back down again, raised both ailerons very slightly, and less down elevator needed now but still a bit.

This could clinch it...

Powered shallow dive (around 20-30 degrees) power of and again she climbs up...

OK Doctors - those are the symptoms, what's the cure idea

BTW AcroWot Foamie fans, have you seen this...

**LINK**

Advert

Thank you Gents!

Well it says to me that opening up the throttle and the 'ballooning' seen thereafter smacks of little or no down thrust, so in agreement.

But, even in a glide I still need a little down elevator trim to keep it level.

My concern here is that it's what it is... AcroWot Foamie and others that I've seen required very little trimming.. battery in ...CoG good to go and... off...! So why was mine nose heavy on a standard recommended 2200mAH pack? Down trim to keep it level? Downthrust to be added? I found it hard to balance either right way up or inverted on my balancing jig.. It would sit level after adjustment, and itf I tilted it slightly down (either on tail or nose) it would stay down!

Also the CoG (I'm going to study **LINK**  so shallow powered dive, power then cut and model dives... requires *more* weight on the tail?

Of course I've no problem with experimenting with it all - that's part of the fun of course and something that I enjoy. Any comments appreciated - I think in the past it was a case of set it on the bench and it's set for life will not apply... a more scientific approach to trimming, Stevo - get your act together, man!!!

I dont know if my cg dive method is strictly right but I do this. Get some good height, then into wind power off and a 45degree dive. I am looking for a gradual pull out, not too much though. If you leave some power on the thrust could affect the test.

Hi stuey

It needs some downthrust.. Take off the prop take the motor and glue with some cyno a 4mm washer over the bottom screw hole on the motor you my have to file the washer a bit so that the circlip on the motor shaft does not catch it. Reinstall the motor make sure that the washer is at the bottom of the plane. put the prop back on and go and fly.

By the way in a glide the plane will and should loose height so dont trim for level flight with no power on, trim for level flight at the speed you want to fly at with power on then when you throttle back the plane will decend on it's own. 

I did the above on my Acro Wot and moving the throttle from half to full does not make the plane climb.

Happy Flying

Gaham

Edited By graham dewis on 07/08/2013 10:25:24

Forget about the downthrust until you've moved the cg back incrementaly as far as you find the model still comfortable to fly adjusting the down trim as you go. Then see what happens to the zooming tendency but also check if it inverted before adjusting the downthrust.

What happens when you cut the power completely Stevo...? Does it glide OK??

If it does its a thrustline issue if not its a CoG or incidence issue....

I've always understood that the Foamie Acrowots fly brilliantly straight out of the box so the need for weight at the rear & a possible thrustline issue is a bit of a surprise....dont know

Yes Steve that's what I thought. I had a WOT4 Foam-e and no extra balancing required!

When I balanced it it was nose heavy (not by a little - by a LOT) for the stated 75mm and tha batery was as far back as the tight space would allow. Hence the 20g on the rear. In a gentle dive, power off and it climbs..

Mmmmm something not right here then....what battery have you got up front?

Does the wing fit into the wing seat OK? Wing twisted? Tailplane misaligned??? You've not fitted the wing upside down or something daft like that...? teeth 2

Could you maybe take it back to the shop & compare it with another model? Or maybe there is another one at your club? As a moulded model it should be consistent dimensionally but it just sounds like something is wrong somewhere to me!!!

OK.. On the bench.. CoG came out as 70mm and not 75, so a little more on the tail it was. Now balancing dead level at 75mm. prop changed for a 12x6", reading into it all it seems a lot of owners do this, current is reduced, therefore heat (current squared) is too. Top speed sacrifices a little, but I don't care. I have added minimal down thrust with a very thin washer - getting that motor out and back in was a nightmare..

Waiting for the wind to die down.

Edited By Stevo on 07/08/2013 18:11:56

OK Here's the score. The prop made a great difference - far more manageable; short take off run and good vertical performance. And a tad of extra downthrust meant that when I whacked open the throttle, it did climb, but not balloon.

Anyhow... After the short take off run, (level elevator Graham!!) it shot upwards like a rocket... vertical with just a little up elevator. Same problem. Got Steveo Jr. (Nick) to fly her inverted while he was having a go... and I observed the sticks. Quite a lot of down to maintain inverted IN ADDITION to the down that we trimmed into it to get it to fly level.

Given that I'm flying with 2mm of down by default, it was very manageable and not over sensitive. LAnding it, which is always a buttock-clenching experience for me) was a breeze.

Over to you aerodynamisists.

This doesn't make any sense.....it sounds tail heavy with the "down" trim & the ballooning but lots of forward stick to maintain inverted flight points to nose heavy....thinking

What happens in a power off dive? Not necessarily vertical but greater than 45 degrees.....does it pull out on its own (usually indicates nose heavy) or start to tuck & dive streeper (usually indicates tail heavy)?

There is something not right here.....you haven't trapped the aileron servo wire between the wing & wing seat have you? That would alter the angle of incidence.....

Other than that I'm flummoxed.....dont know

.......which would indicate nose heavy.....

I wonder if you still have too much upthrust though......that would translate as needing downtrim, balooning AND the need for lots of forward stick when inverted....

Do you have any tubing that will slot neatly over the prop driver at all......? A length of this on the end of the motor might show a dodgy thrust angle.....