which motor..........

I have posted a thread already......

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=86466

I have been told (quite rightly) my E-Flite 420 heli motor is no good for plane applications as its 3800kv and would spin the prop far to fast, i need to do a lot of homework by the look of things and learn.....Anyway, i was wondering about turning down the throttle settings on my DX6i so 'Full throttle' would only be about 60% throttle....would that be ok? if my motor spins the prop too fast does it not work then? i thought it would just make the model faster....as you can see, i'm totally new to plane building/setup etc....might just get a different motor....but funds are limited just now....so its either model or motor by the looks of things.

Regards Ade

Advert

Hi Adrian, welcome to the Forum. You are not stupid by any means. By asking questions and being answered by very knowlegable folk on here, is a very good way of learning quickly. Wish this forum was around when I started, but there were no PCs around then either Ha Ha, Ask away. Cheers

Posted by ADRIAN EADES on 08/08/2013 22:21:26:

There is nothing like a Baptism-of-fire..........i have just bought a T-45 rc 64mm EDF RC JET.......that should keep me busy lol..........i can use all my bits and bobs i have lying around

Regards ade.

I also have a T-45 waiting to be put together, it yours the Hobbyking/Lanyu T-45?

Posted by J Myers III on 09/08/2013 14:35:04:

There is nothing like a Baptism-of-fire..........i have just bought a T-45 rc 64mm EDF RC JET.......that should keep me busy lol..........i can use all my bits and bobs i have lying around

Regards ade.

I also have a T-45 waiting to be put together, it yours the Hobbyking/Lanyu T-45?

It is this one........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/t-45-rc-64mm-edf-Rc-jet-kit-New-in-uk-/200951136219?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2ec99effdb

Posted by ADRIAN EADES on 09/08/2013 17:46:49:
Posted by ADRIAN EADES on 09/08/2013 17:00:25:
Posted by J Myers III on 09/08/2013 14:35:04:

Do you have a link to your model?

That's the one I have

Power = torque x rpm

Most in-runners are higher KV than most out-runners therefore for the same power most in-runners will have lower torque.

Never tried EDF but as I understand it since the fan size is limited it needs to operate at higher rpm than a conventional prop would for the same power output. In which case a high KV motor is needed - i.e. an in-runner is more likely to be suitable.
Also because a out-runners usually have more magnets than in-runners the rpm that the ESC can handle could become an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

The main reason Outrunners have more torque than Inrunners is because the point at which the torque is generated (ie the gap between the magnet & the stator coil) is further away from the shaft on an outrunner than an inrunner....torque is a product of force x distance...hence lbs.ft or kg.cm.....increase the distance & for a given force the torque will be higher.

For a practical demonstration try & undo your cars wheelnuts with a 6" spanner.....hard isn't it? You have to apply a lot of force because of the short lever...now try again with a 2' spanner....much easier isn't it? The nut was just as tight but the longer spanner allowed you to apply more torque for the same force....

Right, tried that, Crikey Charlie! That was tough, but i think it was easier to get the wheel nut off with the longer spanner because i loosened it a bit with the short spanner first. . . . Hey, just me kidding. That's a great way of explaining it. Thank you. Being a sparky tough would think i knew that, sadly no. I have another question. . . I need to extend the three cables from the motor. . .Is it special cable or can i use 1.5mm stranded singles (heat resistant of course) thanks again for the reply.
Ade

If you intend soldering the extension wires it's important not to cut back any of the original wires. De-solder any connectors then solder the new to the old soldered section with heatshrink over the joints.
OTOH you might consider using connectors for the extension.