easy slow flyers

Rob43

Hi all
Can someone recommend a slow and easy to fly ep plane for flying in my local park. Would like something with ailerons and was thinking of a powered glider maybe and about 800mm to 1000mm span. I have 8 channel spectrum compatible tx and rx and plenty if 2s and 3s 1300 lipos so ccould be plug and play or bnf. Would also have to land on rough grass. I need something that isnt going to get away from me quickly and give me time to think!

Advert

I've got one of these ;-

PITTS S2 SEMI-SCALE PLANE EPP

and it really does what it says on the tin - can be flown slow and easy or with higher rates, is quite aerobatic.

Fits in car OK and bounces very well (does need bigger wheels on grass) but it is on the expensive side when all the servos, motor and ESC are added in but it's worth it as it flies beautifully.

Takes a 1300mAh 3s with ease and smaller batteries for indoor (large hall).

Skippy

p.s. it also will take a bit of wind down the beach.

Edited By SkippyUK on 27/08/2013 20:21:43

Posted by IanR on 27/08/2013 20:25:33:

Try this from Robotbirds :- Hyperion EPP Reno racer - Rare Bear

It will fly slow but goes like the clappers when you open the throttle and it will cope with a surprising amount of wind.

Nice model IanR but i hardly think it fits the bill of " I need something that isnt going to get away from me quickly and give me time to think!".

IMHO, not an ideal 'Park Flyer' either if it's goin to be like a bat outa hell..........

Skippy

Edited By SkippyUK on 27/08/2013 20:36:52

Rob, Skippy, the Hyperion Rare Bear does fly slowly, if you want it to. Its possible to fly nice and slow relatively low down and close in. It can go like the clappers, though, if you open up the throttle.

The Bixlers are great models, of course, but I think "their" slow is relative to their size; when they get low and close in you realise that their slow is actually relatively fast. At half the Bixler's wing span (and much less weight) the Hyperion's slow really is - quite slow. Anyway, I found it to be much more confidence inspiring than, say, my foamie Wot 4.

Just my two haporth.

I have a couple of Bixler 2 models, one with the optional wheels, and find that with use of the flaps and in any degree of headwind, they will come in at walking pace and land themselves - very controllable. Putting a few degrees of flap on will enable you to slow the plane down whilst gliding in and giver more time for getting the landing set up, before more flaps for landing, in my case, a little over 45 degrees.

I have slowed down the flap deployment and mixed in elevator to ensure a steady and predictable rate of sink. With just a little bit of practise they can be brought in at your feet nearly every time...........

I found that it was necessary to add some support internally to where the wheels sit with a foam block but a 2200 battery still sits comfortably in the bay.

The wheels were added to combat the dip on hand launching, although I initially mixed in elevator to compensate for that, it was via the throttle, and when the throttle was opened up at altitude, the plane tended to balloon, so, adding wheels meant that the take-off was more controllable and no ballooning higher up as there was no need to mix in elevator - hope that makes sense!

David P

Its interesting to here everyones point of view as the model type varies s lot. I identify a lot with what Ian says about thatthe speed is relative to the size of the aaircraft. I have a hobbyzone champ and ahz supercub thst I converted to ailerons but the supercub feels to big in that it seems to cover ground too quickly and for my skill level I dont feel too comfortable with the space available and flying it close in hence im looking for a slower aircraft to move to ailerons on. I manage the supetcub in bigger feilds but my nearest club is 60 mile round trip. I identify with what Ian says about needing to or being able to fly "close in"