Battery Weight?

Hi People i have a T-45 Lanu Epo 64mm EDF and its supposed to run on what they recomend '1800mah 20c-30c 11.1v batteries, i have 4x 2200mah (new) 25c (11,1v) and the jet just dives down on hand launch (trying to maiden it) i give it full throttle and give it a big fling and give it some up elevator but it just dives down i'm thinking my C of G is way out or the battery is just too heavy.

Others say you can run the 2.2 quite happily, some say no no no....What to do? and what is the best kinda 1800 battery to get?

Kind Regards ade

Advert

If it's this one then they recommend a 1500maH. I have an EDF Alpha jet which is about the same size but has a 70mm fan and uses a 3S 2200maH battery but I found that hand launches are marginal with a 20/25C battery and I need to use a 55C to get a consistant hand launch - the battery voltage, and so motor revs, doesn't take a dip at full throttle so there's more thrust available so less time without airflow over the control surfaces.

Ade....A friend of mine just loves foamy jets but has had similar problems. These were solved by using by using Zippy compact packs to get a bigger pack but no more weight and in one case we changed the ESC and upped the cell count by one and then thoroughly tested. The power output doubled, which made take off from the ground possible.

Andrew

yes wingman that's the one i have, so is that a 1500maH 2 cell? i'm new to this sorry, and is that 25c or greater? don't suppose you have a link to a good battery?

Andrew likewise can you point me to exactly what you mean? i've looked at batteries and to be honest.....it's a bloomin MINEFIELD for a newbie like me.....

Thanks you guys for the replies

II WILL get airborn soon!

A 64mm 'cheapy' fan can be marginal on thrust so weight is not your friend. Go for a efficient, lightweight battery, the one Wingman linked to should do the job fine. Move the battery around to get the GOG spot on and make sure it cannot shift when you launch. You may need to give it a good lug to get it going and do NOT launch at a high upwards angle as she will not thank you for it!

The speed controller and fan will not be of the highest quality, but what do you expect for that price? Its cheap as chips! I would not recommend going up to 4 cells as it is likely things will start to smoke, and I don't mean with any nicotine based products!

If you power up and the thing vibrates like mad then you are also fighting against a fan that is out of balance which will cause efficiency to drop. In a case like that it would pay to take the fan blade unit out (if you can) and balance it. There are plenty of Youtube vids to show you how.

Hope this helps!

Thanks people, the one i got tony was 'just' the T-45....not from that seller..... NO electrics were fitted at all, i got the t-45 jet because i had

• 35A E-Flyte ESC
  • 4 x 2.200maH 3c 25c turnigy NEW batteries
  • 4 x 9g E-Flyte Servos
  • Spektrum receiver
  • 4500kv motor to install into the duct.

All these parts were surplus in my flyte box from my heli exploits. i was told that it would fly on the 2.2' batts but it looks doubtful.......... sounds like i need to get some different batteries to make any head way.

That will teach me, The battery in the link wingman is 180gm my 2.2's are 195gm....not a lot of difference....whilst the 1500maH 3c 20-40c batt's weigh only 128gm thats a big reduction in weight.

would something like this do?

thats 128gm thats a huge difference. What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much everyone for helping.....ade

or even....this

I'm trying to take all this in lol....................

PS How do you put a link on here so it looks like *this* or *link* etc....instead of my link mess.

PPS motor/fan is balanced perfectly

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 29/08/2013 18:39:14

Thanks Pete,

STOP PRESS ~ STOP PRESS ~ STOP PRESS

IT FLIES!!!

I put one of my 2.2's in it and pushed it right back as far as it would go, i'd say 2" further back (darn it, should have measured it) powered-up the jet, checked all the controls, did range check......and when i had plucked-up the courage pointed it into the rather strong wind.....

FLING.........THROTTLE..........BOTH NERVOUS THUMBS BACK ON BOTH STICKS.........GLIDE.........BIG GUST.........MORE THROTTLE........A BIG RUSH FROM THE POWER UNIT........SOAR.........BIT OF ELEVATOR........BIT OF LEFT HAND AILERON TO BRING IT AROUND,......W.O.W I'TS FLYING......More importantly.....I'M FLYING!!!!! im a complete novice.....I'm shaking typing this lol.........WOW WHAT A RUSH!!!

I kept her / it up about 3 / 4 mins (felt like forever!!) i flew it around in large circuits not realising actually how wide the circuits were!!! until i got in and the fiancee said 'Wow you were flying right over the house" i was far-off in the field and it looked like the jet was within the boundaries of the field.....i'm still shaking lol.....

After about 8 (i guess) large circuits of half throttle circuits i headed her into the wind at the far end of the field and flew toward me throttling back steadly all the while.....she came in beautifully (why was no one filming grrr lol) and just as i was going to cut the throttle i did the stupidist thing in the world.....THOUGHT JUST ONE MORE GO!!! and wnet all-out full throttle..........wooshhhhh.........she went verticle and climbed with relative ease......i know nothing about EDF's or flying persay....but i gotta say....i was relaxing by now and really starting to enjoy myself......i was still nervous......but kinda focused......i did another low level fly-pass and thought this plane/jet looks just superb as it was going at a fair rate of knotts, again i pulled up, vertically, up, up she went, i killed the power......she twisted in the strong wind and pointed downward.....power on......zoommmmmmm straight down then i leveled-off with plenty of height still (it was my first time actually flying a EDF (my only other plane is a micro EPO parkzone sukhoi 26m)) Quite a difference i'd say lol anywho i turned her steadily to come back towards me and dumb thumbed it.....she went-in from about 12 ft, no throttle so damage is light and repairable.

WOW!!! ive just about calmed down now LOL WHAT A BLAST!!!

I'm one very Happy Chappie smileythumbs up

Ade......over and out!!!

Well done Ade! Its great to hear how much you enjoyed it and that your pride and joy lives to fly another day! Sounds like the original balance was way too forward.

With a foamy dents and bends can often be made right again by dunking in hot water.

Unlike your micro, jets tend to be very slippery in the air, so don't always slow down enough for a landing on the strip. If this happens go round again and aim for a shallower approach.

BTW It always pays to keep some power in the battery as an EDF can suck the life out very quickly, possibly leaving you some distance from where you want to land. If you abuse the battery too much you can also damage it.

Have fun with your jet!

Now you need to get a Mig! teeth 2