OS FS81 Alpha pumper

Andy Green

Hi All

I've a new OS FS 81 pumper, paid a bit extra for the pumped version. Thing is I can't get it to run.

It starts OK, and revs upto full chat, but when I close the throttle and then open it again nothing happens, it will continue to run at tickover for many seconds, then run up to full rpm. No smooth nor fast transition.

The low end mix screw (that hasn't been touched) id extremely tight, I stopped trying to adjust as I didn't want to damage the screw head with a little screw driver.

I've search the net for users with the same isue but nothing, so it mus be me.

Any ideas?

Andy

Advert

Can you not take it back to the shop? Allot of people seem to think because of the nature of our hobby stuff is non returnable but its all still subject to the sale of goods act. Let the vendor try the low end needle and if it strips its his look out. OS engines can afford a replacement more than you and I.

Thanks Guys.

The motor is OK (thank goodness) I tend to install new engines in a model to runin and set up, and I did the same whith this engine. In desparation I have invested in an engine test stand so I can get to the needles.

The low needle was a long way off (considering it was factory set) and very tight, but overnight with come light oil loosened it enough that I could adjust it.

I'll run a other couple of thanks through while its out, and try again. At least if it still plays up, I'll know its the model, not the engine.

The pump cannot be bypassed, its integral to the carburettor, was feeling I'd make the wrong choice, but feel a lot better about it now.

Andy

Hi Andy . The pumped engines are fine once set up . The pump allows you to fit the tank virtually anywhere in the model, usually on the Cof G so that the trim of the model doesn't change as the fuel is used up. Persevere with it and you wont look back . One down side of pumped engines though is that the pump can get stuck up during storage ,even a couple of weeks. . Make sure that you can get a finger to the carb to choke to fuel through for the first start of the day . Dont forget that the tank needs a vent/ breather to allow air in .If overlooked this will cause the fuel mix to weaken and engine to stop.