Disabled Flyers

Bob Vaughan

I recently met a guy, who lost all use of his left arm in a motor cycle crash some years ago, who is interested in learning to fly model aircraft but assumed that this would not be possible because of his disability. One answer would be to use a buddy lead as is usual for learners but even if succesful he would always be reliant on the buddy lead system since he would only be able to operate the right stick safely..............or am I missing something here?. Is there another work around or anyone with similar experience of this issue?.

Thanks for any input

Bob V

As I posted recently in a similar thread, we have a one armed flyer who builds from plans. As well as totally losing the use of his dominant arm (the nerves were pulled out from his spine), he lost a leg at the same time.

He's had transmitters converted to place the rudder control on a rotary control on the stick with a side mounted throttle slider.

I think he was around 68 when he started to learn and achieved his A certificate in a similar time to most late starters.

Some examples from the website of the firm that does his conversions

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/09/2013 20:33:09

• 2 months later...
If you enter the word "disabled" in the search engine near the top of this page you will find that there are more threads on here that deal with disabled flyers. You will certainly find encouraging accounts of how people with various disablities have overcome them and are able to fly model aeroplanes very sucessfully. You will also find more links and information.