Bringing an acro wot out of retirement

Advert

Well im moving on now got all the last few bits on the fuselage i have just hit a problem with the ailerons,

The control rod is epoxed into the ailerons, and i trying to think of a way to remove them without destroying them and the trailing edge of the wing

One option is i make new ailerons, only problem being i dont have the old plan, but im pretty sure i could make some from the existing ones.

What im after is a nice piece of wizzardry that softens epoxy so i can get them out lol

Any ideas? or is it best making new ailerons?

Cheers

Craig

I had the same issue with the torque rods. Once you have cleaned off the covering you will find the wood has an inserted strip of a different colour. By cutting this out with a Stanley knife, (a thin dremel tool would work great as well) I was able to lift the torque rod form the servo link end to repair. I was able to remove them from the ailerons then without terminal damage so I could use the same aileron again. The torque rods travel through plastic tubing and in my case it was all rusted up, so the whole assembly was turning in the wood when the ailerons moved. By careful manipulation I was able to free it all up and use the same torque rod and assembly. I then replaced the wood I had removed with a strip of balsa and covered over.

As for slow speed flight as discussed in my original post here, and the responses, my Acrowot does not drop a wing either, but getting it slow enough consistently to land at my club was difficult. Hence the flaps, which are used for drag, not lift, which means I can approach steeper (there are lots of trees around my flying site!) It also lands slower, which has helped on those rare calm wind days.

I covered mine with the control surfaces still attached. This proved fine with the elevator and rudder, but the ailerons were really tricky and on one flight there was an awful noise then suddenly a piece of Oracover departed the model; I had lost one of the aileron coverings in flight. So I think your plan is best.

Good luck with the refurb.....

I have some pictures, but they are on the other computer, so I'll add them later.

Tim

I may have a problem i am struggling to think how i can remove the ailerons and the control rod, as you can see in the photos i used the epoxy bandage around the trailing edge, one of the rods needs freeing up any way as it has gone stiff.

img_0038.jpg

img_0039.jpg

Also looks like there has been some water lying under the covering, will have to tart that up

Will keep you posted

img_0040.jpg

Just cut through the bandage and wood above the torque rod, then when you put it back together fill the gap with a strip of balsa, sand flush and add a patch of covering. Did you say you were covering it in Solartex? Mine has been film covered for the last thirty-ish years and has only needed a full refurb once in that time. Although it will add strength Tex may be a bit of overkill, it's a tough airframe as it is.