TANKS...........long shot

Ade Eades (Eadsie)

Advert

Not sure why you really need a sim for driving tanks - surely they are the perfect all weather machines for when you can't go flying and you can't really crash them, they are meant to drive over everything.

Horses for courses I suppose.

And for those of you in the hobby long enough to remember, SLEC brought out a Panzer tank kit in late 1984, it was only in production until 1987 when the company changed hands and the tank was no longer produced.

It was a simple lite ply chassis with plastic moulded wheels and bogeys. The bogeys were actually fitted with springs too. The Track links were heavy plastic moulded items requiring assembly with self threading nuts. They actually took 3 hours to assemble properly. The top shell and turret were ABS moulded items with basic details moulded in. The turret also had internal lite ply formers to fit inside. The drive mechanism was via 2 tooth cogs on the main front drive sprockets on each track, also fitted with clutch bearings to prevent motor burn outs. Suggested motors were Meccano or alternative geared motors. (Decaperm / Hectaperm)

The kit also came with a pre printed self adhesive sheet with parts for making a Bulldozer or snow plough.

It could be built as a push along toy for kids, but this seemed to be a waste as it was crying out for radio control given the room inside the hull for a motorcycle sized drive battery and plenty of room for the radio. The turret would easily house a small BB gun if you wanted to make it firing. (I actually modified the barrel on mine to be more scale & it now looks more like it can fire 7.62mm rounds)

The only extras required to complete were motors, batteries (radio control was optional as stated)

As you can probably guess I bought one of these, I bought mine at the Wembley Model Engineer Exhibition in January 1985. I built it initially and then came back to it a long time later to do some proper scale work on it, including making all the tools / fittings etc on the outside which are not included in the kit.

Pic shows mine before I finally finished it off - I still have this one now.

It's about 1/10th scale so bigger than most of the other standard electric ones you can buy now.

And here it is, early Panzer V AUSF G - All external details have been scratch built.

dsc00152.jpg

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 14/09/2013 05:04:12

Thanks guys, perhaps i should have said GAME not SIM lol..........1st Person Shooters / RPG etc....Fantastic scale replicas chaps and great video to, i like (as well as flying planes/heli's) to play pc / xbox / ps2 / ps1 games as well, Mostly WWII games, The Medal of honour series and the like.....also sci-fi Half Life and so on.......as i visited the tank museum Dorset (whilst on my honeymoon ...... and yes she enjoyed it as much as me thumbs up what a lass wink) i suddenly thought 'I've not seen a GOOD tank SIM/GAME for years and thought i'd ask here,

Yes steel legions looks good as well, I just been to town and managed to pick up a couple of second hand games......Call of Duty 2 & Call of Duty (World at War) Both have Tank Sections in, so i'm going to be a happy chappie this evening.

I was simply wondering if any of you chaps had played a specific tank 'Game' or very similar and could offer advice smiley erm........'Tank's for the replies' ............did you see what i did there? lol.........................

Take it easy

Kind Regards Ade.

Posted by Chris P. Bacon on 14/09/2013 10:32:28:

Nice model, never heard of it before. Did you think of fitting a sound generator to simulate the engine noise?

Thanks Chris,

Yes I have considered fitting a sound generator in there to simulate the engine noise. Just got to find a decent one and then fit small speakers in the rear under the circular engine vents the exit out at the top. There is plenty of room for this so this is still beng looked at

Mark.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 14/09/2013 11:23:59:

Wasn't the Panzer V more commonly known as the Panther Tank (if my memory of Aifix tanks from 1973 serves me correctly....wink 2)

The Panzer (classed as a 'Light Tank' was generally 20-30 tonne machines where as the Panther was classed as a 'Medium Tank' 45+ tonne and up. very similar looking machines...The 'Tiger' was classed as a 'Heavy Tank' and was the dog's.

I have been reading my new 'Tank Literature' books lol..................

Ade.

Posted by Mr.B. on 15/09/2013 20:08:56:

We went to the tank museum when we were on honeymoon! 19 years ago. Although Mrs B does stop short of standing in a wind swept field watching me fly and making appreciative coments. Funny girl.

Congratulations Ade.

Nice one Mr.B
and Thank You.

We had a good ish time away, her poor health stopped us doing what we wanted, never mind, its a marathon....not a sprint wink

World of tanks is a pretty good game- I have racked up close to 3k battles on there.......... I wonder what I could have achieved if I had spent that time productively!!

It also links into their new (and less well known) game called world of warplanes- which would obviously be more down the avenues of interest for many on here- maybe we should get an RCM&E clan going!

My brother had the SLEC 'Panther' back in the early 80's. As I remember it the electric motors were connected to the sprockets via vacuum cleaner type drive bands. When the tank was loaded with batteries etc it was so heavy that the bands kept slipping and it could not move!

I've now got a 1/6 scale M26 Pershing (the best tank of WW2?) which I'm adding more detail to. It's a bit of a beast! teeth 2

Posted by andy watson on 16/09/2013 08:08:28:

World of tanks is a pretty good game- I have racked up close to 3k battles on there.......... I wonder what I could have achieved if I had spent that time productively!!

Hi Andy, i tried to 'download' this, it started to download and the file size said 5345,235 that's massive so i cancelled the download after 3 hours!!!!. am i missing something?

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 16/09/2013 13:27:52:

My brother had the SLEC 'Panther' back in the early 80's. As I remember it the electric motors were connected to the sprockets via vacuum cleaner type drive bands. When the tank was loaded with batteries etc it was so heavy that the bands kept slipping and it could not move!

I've now got a 1/6 scale M26 Pershing (the best tank of WW2?) which I'm adding more detail to. It's a bit of a beast! teeth 2

Hi Tony,

Yes that was the original drive set up on the SLEC Tank and is shown as such on the instructions with mine, it was later revised to a better setup and I had the amendment slip included with my instructions to show this. It no longer uses the bands but a more direct drive with clutch type washers.

Ade,

Just checked the game on the site - it's a 5.6 Gb download for the full version which you will need if you are just starting.

That's quite a big file so you need a really fast internet connection to download it quickly, either that or if you know someone with a decent connection speed who could do it for you and either burn it off onto a DVD or copy it onto a USB stick.

Mark.