Dsing my thermal glider.

Advert

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 23/09/2013 09:20:03:

That's interesting and impressive S. Probably a daft question but are you worried about the stresses imposed?....on the model wink 2

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/09/2013 09:22:27

Not much, the gliders does go fast, but im not stressing it with high G manoures or hard pull ups.

I dont think its over 6 G at any time, with the Thermic and Odessey.

The fiberglass F3b can take a lot more.

Regards

S

• 1 month later...

I am not very experienced at slope soaring. From my perspective, what you are doing is very different, or so it appears, that is to me.

I normally fly on the front face of the slope, that is the face facing the wind. I track across the face doing figure of 8s, taking out from the face and then turning to a roughly parallel track, that approaches the face, then turning out again.

What i seem to see, is that you are at the back of the face, in an area I would associate with a turnover wave, in turbulent air. Yet, this appears not be the case.

So what is happening?

I am curious where the dunes are to. There are some at St Annes, where my daughter lives, which also appear to be about 5 meters high, I wonder if these might work?

Erf what Speedster is doing is called "dynamic soaring" exploiting the wind speed differences between the back and the apex of the slope. Done on a big scale its possible to work up tremendous speeds. I can't remember the exact figure but if I remember correctly there is certainly one guy in the States who has reached speeds of over 400mph with an RC glider (albeit a rather special one!) with this technique.

Excellent flying BTW Speedster!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/11/2013 23:16:36:

Erf what Speedster is doing is called "dynamic soaring" exploiting the wind speed differences between the back and the apex of the slope. Done on a big scale its possible to work up tremendous speeds. I can't remember the exact figure but if I remember correctly there is certainly one guy in the States who has reached speeds of over 400mph with an RC glider (albeit a rather special one!) with this technique.

BEB

Speed record currently stands at 580mph

Posted by TigerOC on 04/11/2013 09:28:58:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/11/2013 23:16:36:

BEB

Speed record currently stands at 580mph

Woo! That's quick!

BEB

Hi Erfolg

Video for you, that might explain a bit.

And a small dune on a perfekt day for this ridge.

Dont try to ds a small ridge in strong Wind (Over 20 knots) then the backside will be too turbolent and the lee arear will too narrow.

Cheers

S

Edited By Speedster on 07/11/2013 21:10:07

I am considering the potential of trying to fly a model of the sand dunes at Lytham/St Annes. I have flown of the beach, electric models.

The trouble is that the hoped for reduction in wind strength with summer, also brought holiday makers. This made flying from the beach impractical, as holiday makers have a nsty habit of wandering where you want to fly, and just as alarming, materialising by your side,

Yet with winter, all disappear, but to windy for my small electrics.

Has ayone tried Lytham/ St Annes?

I know I will not be able to fly anywhere near as well as you guys. Also landings could be an issue not having crow brakes, actually having no brakes, on my 2m models, with which i hope to start.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much is needed, I would say about 15 feet.

Specialy with small and light gliders a Sharp ridge top is a must, because there is not much pennetration and speed to get through the boundary layer.

And the Wind must be right on the slope, otherwise the Wind just creep over the top without making a lee arear behind the top.

If there is lee behind the ridge, then ds is possible,

if there is turbolent Wind behind, dont try.

My ds dunes just Works op to around 20 knots Wind, over that the arear behing the dune gets too turbolent.

Works perfekt with a 2,5 m thermal glider and 10-12 knots Wind,

Light glider ds

And the extreme, with no front side slope.

Very hard to fly, but possible.

Perfekt Sharp top 45 feet dune,

(only problem is that we have to walk 20 min.)

Cheers

Soren

Hi Soren,

Have spent the day reading (studying!) your build thread over on rcgroups;

**LINK**

What an inspirational thread. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and techniques with us.

Need to become a better pilot and then I will be building some of those awesome gliders of yours.

Regards

Rob