Galaxy Magician renovation - 400 flights later......

Simon Webb

Hi guys......

This is my first build thread in this brilliant forum, so please bear with me whilst I wear my arm-bands and learn the ropes so to speak/

I have decided that after 400 flights.....I am going to restore my beloved Galaxy Magician.

I really love this model and it has served me very well so far......so much so....I want to give her a new lease of life.

I am also giving her a brand new engine. It had an old Q40 in the nose up until now....which really pulled her along very nicely at full chat. I have now bought a brand new Irvine 40 Mark 4....see photos......

The eagle eyed amoungst you will notice a GRP cowl upgrade. I found this on ebay.....for £6 delivered!!!! a much needed upgrade as the ABS one is very weedy.

I also have another Wizard which is making progress.....

The Magician was originally spray painted over tissue and dope......so I am now busy removing this with a coarse grade of wet and dry paper. cheeky

I will then proceed to paint on filler (filler mixed with water) to get into the nooks and crannies......then put more strips of tissue and dope over the areas of weakness, before spray painting it again. I reckon she will weigh 4 pounds when finished, as she did when I first finished her.

My wings have individual wing servos fitted as a modification......but stress cracks appeared after 200 flights,.....so I will repair these with extra tissue and wood filler....... More photos to follow!!!! yes

Advert

OK I have put on ONE coat of sprayed cellulose (non-lead) paint using my car sprayer and compressor.

This paint is VERY thin.....so thin in fact you can see the residue of the blue paint underneath still in the daylight.

I am now in the process of flatting this paint down, then brushing on filler, then flatting the filler, then painting again. I repeat this process about 4 times. THEN......I paint and flat about 5 times.

The total paint coverage sounds a lot, but trust me when I say that it goes on so thin that it is probably 2 brushed coats MAX.....plus it has been built up so gives a gorgeous finish in the end.

Some progress shots...

There will be 2 other colours.......dark blue and red.....slashes on the wings and rear of the cockpit......

More soon!

Blimey....3 hours for a complete installation.....has to be a record for me!! teeth 2yes

SHE IS FINISHED!!

Here are the final reveal photos......

I will run the engine next weekend.....I usually run 2 tanks on the ground VERY rich........making it slowly leaner in the 2nd tank. yes

She weighs 4 pounds 1 oz.....I haven't worked out the wing loading......but I know the model very well.......smile d

I will post a flying thread once I get to the club (weather dependant) Thanks for following my build smile

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice job Steve , I bought mine about 5 years ago (second hand ) and have flown it on various engines the present one being an irvine 46. Your thread has made me think that i ought to refurbish mine but i doubt it would end up looking as good as your machine !

Don,t forget to show us some flying pics .

This is my mine when it had 4 stroke power but no cowlgalaxy magician/ os 52fs

Edited By Les Littleton on 08/10/2013 20:01:15

Hi Guys,

Great Posts! Loving all the photos.

Sadly my Magician had a short life due to the wings centre hooking the Battery out of the RX in flight! Resulting is a fairly scary out of control flat out couple of circuits and a crash!

She was a very good plane and a fantastic flyer, here she is.

20130419_154209[1].jpg

20130419_154215[1].jpg