Dismantling your OS electric motor? Don't!

This thread has swerved rather violently since I started it. I was just warning people not to twist the head off their OS motor shaft screw!

I have various motors, some were a fraction of the price of the OS items - but they all work. Whilst I cannot make any useful comparisons about power or efficiency, the more expensive ones are better balanced and quieter. Just buy the one you want.

I haven't yet investigated the noisy Turnigy 3548/4, Erfolg - but Its not prop noise!

Joe Beavis

Advert

Saying "I bought loads of cheap motors and they work for me"......is hardly fact! They work for me too......but then working is not the same as working efficiently! On small models I have always used cheap end myself, as I said, you don't tend to notice efficiency issue's.......but start moving up to big 1kw + set up's and it becomes a very noticable issue, I want my motor at that size to be reliable and efficient.

Speaking of reliability, as a tester, I have had lot's of cheap motors throw magnets, kv's are often way out, they are equipped with Chinese bearings (which speaks for itself) yes, shafts are generally soft and magnets of a poor quality......which OBVIOUSLY affects performance......as for reliability, as I said, long term the cheaper motors will not last as long as the better quality option......however......they often outlast the airframe (with the exception of high performance motors perhaps) so nobody notices.

So....back to the original point, OS Motors are NOT the same as Turnigy and you would be fooling yourself if you were to believe they were.

Edited By scott cuppello on 08/10/2013 09:43:50

I want to reinforce what David said above.

The reality is guys you have different opinions, and you are perfectly entitled to both hold and express those differing opinions on here.

What you are not allowed to do however is to be disrepsectful of the other person's views - no matter how wrong you may think he is. By all means present your argument. But dismissive and insulting comments about other people's opinions (Pat please take note) and "shouting" at people by using capitals (Ben please take note) are totally out of order on here. Also please note that insulting someone and then appending a "smilie" in the view that somehow that makes it OK is not acceptable either!

So, it stops now please before we have to get the "blue pencil" out and start editing and deleting posts and taking actions against folks. No body wants that - so let's try a little mutual respect.

It's only model aeroplanes lads, the other chap sees it differently - learn to live with it!

BEB