Dismantling your OS electric motor? Don't!

If you feel the need to dismantle your OS electric motor, just pause - because OS really don't want you to! And unless you have a lathe and some engineering equipment, don't do it! If you try to undo the socket head Allen screw on the back of the mainshaft, you will probably twist the head off, because it is not high tensile and is retained with a very strong adhesive. You will then have no option but to drill out the remains of the bolt in your lathe. Be aware that the motor shaft is case-hardened and is very hard. Your tap may 'pick up' as you clean out the thread.

And of course before you start liberating ferrous chips in the motor bell remember to cover the magnets very carefully with masking tape, and when you conclude operations, cover the debris again with more tape, so that when you remove it the swarf is all encapsulated.

But best of all - don't Joe Beavis

Advert

Let's just say they come from the same factory......however it's not that simple......as the customer, you choose the spec of the motor, you have a choice of bearings, windings, magnets, etc to choose from......so although two motors from two different suppliers might look the same, in reality, the bits that matter may be totally different quality.

Edited By scott cuppello on 04/10/2013 15:08:35

I suppose it's a bit like when Ford owned Jaguar. You bought an X type because it was a Jaguar though it was fitted with Ford locks, steering, suspension etc, but because you wanted quality it had a Mazda engine ! It didn't matter where the bits came from, it still rotted like an old Jag.

kevinb.

I've got one in my Bondaero monolog. It's a well thought through, well constructed motor (the cooling holes are particularly well though through). I own Turnigy/XYH motors too and while they're ok, the OS one is definitely better quality, much like my hacker motors. Whether the difference is worth a 5 fold price difference  (or a mere double price difference if you buy them from 4-Max) isn't clear though

Edited By Simon B on 04/10/2013 22:14:50

Really cheap motors are usually of dubious Kv rating, usually have soft shafts, sometimes throw magnets and generally have a short bearing life. Why would you risk your latest pride and joy 'sport' model for sake of an iffy motor? Not only that, it's false economy.
As for determining the difference in quality, strip down two motors, one cheap one and the other a branded name equivalent and you'll soon be able to tell. As an example, the branded name will have a dynamically balanced rotor, correctly spaced magnets that are well secured and very smooth high quality long life bearings, not to mention a better overall finish. Having said that, I believe the O.S. motors are over priced and that there are cheaper good quality alternatives available.

Posted by Bill_B on 05/10/2013 20:28:24:

Really cheap motors are usually of dubious Kv rating, usually have soft shafts, sometimes throw magnets and generally have a short bearing life. Why would you risk your latest pride and joy 'sport' model for sake of an iffy motor? Not only that, it's false economy.
As for determining the difference in quality, strip down two motors, one cheap one and the other a branded name equivalent and you'll soon be able to tell. As an example, the branded name will have a dynamically balanced rotor, correctly spaced magnets that are well secured and very smooth high quality long life bearings, not to mention a better overall finish. Having said that, I believe the O.S. motors are over priced and that there are cheaper good quality alternatives available.

Never had any problems regarding soft shafts, thrown magnets or short bearing life with any of the cheap motors I've used.
As far as I'm concerned quality is reliability & the motor doing what I require from it. Why should I want to strip it down - in the case of the "superior" quality OS motor this would be result in the motor becoming unusable anyway. wink 2

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 05/10/2013 20:36:02:

i have quite a numberof outrunners cheap ones upto rimfire and a number of axi motors , i can easily say you do get what you pay for axi being a little heavier but far more powerful

Care to quote any comparison figures to bear this out ?

Posted by PatMc on 05/10/2013 22:32:05:

Never had any problems regarding soft shafts, thrown magnets or short bearing life with any of the cheap motors I've used.

Then maybe you don't use them very often, but anyway, each to his own. If cheap, questionable quality motors work for you, then please carry on. I'll vote with my wallet thanks.

well i dont actuallyrecord/ write all the performance figures out once ive done them on some sort of spread sheet, i prefere to fly than talk, but i can say that the better quality motors ive used in airframes that were similar to other airframes with lower quality motors did perform better l from indoor to small 3d to bigger 3d thats why i took the cheap out and bought the better ones . if the cheaper ones were as good id have alot more dosh in my wallet also what type of flying do you do , circle flying does not strain or test a motor what so ever  try some 3d

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 06/10/2013 09:53:26

Posted by Bill_B on 06/10/2013 07:23:26:

Then maybe you don't use them very often, but anyway, each to his own. If cheap, questionable quality motors work for you, then please carry on. I'll vote with my wallet thanks.

Nothing questionable about the motors I use.
I open the throttle - they convert the energy in the battery into power. That's their job & they do it.
I'm perfectly happy for you or anyone else to unecessarily throw away as much money as you want. teeth 2

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 06/10/2013 09:48:33:

well i dont actuallyrecord/ write all the performance figures out once ive done them on some sort of spread sheet, i prefere to fly than talk, but i can say that the better quality motors ive used in airframes that were similar to other airframes with lower quality motors did perform better l from indoor to small 3d to bigger 3d thats why i took the cheap out and bought the better ones . if the cheaper ones were as good id have alot more dosh in my wallet also what type of flying do you do , circle flying does not strain or test a motor what so ever try some 3d

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 06/10/2013 09:53:26

So from that reply I think it's fair to assume that your previous post was rhetoric.

You do not always get what you pay for, it is to simple a concept to be taken very seriously.

As Patmac, I have not had thrown magnets, what ever the purchase price. Bent shafts yes, on expensive and low cost motors.

Are all cheap motors as good or worse than expensive motors, or visa versa. The answer will always be open to debate. As SC has mentioned, some expensive motors have balanced rotors, sometimes a better quality set of bearings, it should be subjected to a higher quality control. This is true often, but not always.

I personally agree with whoever questioned what is actually required by the modeller. In this era, the difference between the mass produced cheaper end and the higher priced product can be quite narrow. In other words, it is hard to quantify the difference in performance, at the user level. Just ask yourself do you need the best, is the best wasted in my hands? In my case I cannot afford the best, that is why I do not drive a Rolls Royce. If I bought one, am I rich enough to enjoy it, take it to Tesco, drive down muddy lanes, stick my models on the backseat, or allow the grandchildren in, with bags of crisps, dirty shoes.

Away from modelling there are many examples where mass market product in one market in one market is sold as a reassuringly expensive quality beer in another. High price does not always equate to quality.