HELP ! How to remove a servo frame?

twinstar

So, i managed to burn out all 4 wing servos by reversing their polarity in the wiring harness.

I cant get any replacement KST DS09A servo's (unless anyone knows of any?)

Seems i have little choice but to somehow try and remove the plywood servo frames to make the space for some other servo's, the frames are cyano'd into a balsa top skinned wing.

Any ideas how i can remove the servo frames without wrecking the wings, all i can think of is considerable time and care with a dremmel sanding drum.

Whats a decent 9g (ish) servo with good centering? - preferably digital.

Thanks

Edited By twinstar on 06/10/2013 23:48:47

First question I would ask is, "Is there any real need to remove the existing servo mountings..?"

Most servos are of similar size now so should slot straight into those same slots with minimal effort and will probably have matching screw holes too.

If you need to redo the mounting holes, then glue a fresh strip of ply on the underside of the plate where the mounting holes are and redo the screws.

You will probably get away with out having to do this. It is certainly worth a check first before resorting to hacking everything out when you don't really need to.

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 07/10/2013 01:47:54

- i think you may be thinking my wing servo's are in vertically?, they are in on their side: like this: as the wings are thin. ie the servo frame follows the side profile of the servo.

When new servo's come will see if i can just fiddle them first, and if not maybe a thin, steel braid wire slid underneath might cut them away. Had been wondering if cyano debonder would penetrate enough to loosen them.

A. The gears and the motor should be fine in your servo. Remove the circuit board from another servo and solder the motor and the potentiometer wires.

B. Find a smaller servo that will need less frame modification.

Are you sure that you had burnt them. The defacto servo connector pinout is foolproof. Since ground is in the middle and it is normal to have voltage at the signal line. Inserting it in the opposite direction should not harm the servo

Edited By Sigh on 07/10/2013 21:04:20

I agree there could well be other issues than damage through reversing the connector, assuming the wiring is all standard with centre wire as ground.

If you do need replacements I always go to servodatabase.com where I need specific matches.

Pulling off the KST DS09A specs from the Hyperion Australia site and feeding that into Servodatabase it throw up the initial list here which can be tweaked by editing the search parameters.