The LB Special

Ok this is a Spin off something i was doing for indoor flying and as it flys so well i decided to make one for out door flying as well .

I have been building flying fleas for some time now and i decided to do something that was a bit different than the normal flying flea that most people may have seen .

Now then the concept behind the flying flea was an aero plane that someone could build them self and store in there own garage and would be easy to fly and cheap to both run and build . So a poor mans plane . It was a very compact plane with simple controls , just rudder for left and right and a motor bike engine for power and the main wing would tilt in order to gain or lose height .

But what would someone really like to fly if they had the money well some might like to have a Pitts Special .

So i decided to morph the two together to create The LB Special .

The Little Bit Special has the same wing shape and fin as a pits special but has been cartooned in order to make it both more compact and to confirm to the tandem wing design of a flying flea . So without the bottom wing and the top wing using a tilting mechanism the concept is born .

Advert

You bet Ya ,

It has a wing span of 30" a AUW of 400 Grm two 5 Grm servos one small 2.4Ghz receiver a 50 Watt motor and is the easiest thing i have ever flown more stable than you're average trainer and will fly in light winds too considering it`s size it` a little belter even my son likes to fly it and he has not passed his A certificate yet .

Thanks Richard ,

Yes i am pleased with it , considering its unorthodox . it flys very well .

If you would like to build it , i have done a slightly modified version in TurboCad16 just PM me and i will send you the file it needs a little finishing off for the struts but nothing you car`nt fix i am sure .

My pictures are edited with Gimp 2.8 free .

Bigger ? / thats why i cad it .

Its almost on the board due to its size it need more Mods to figure out .

Cheers Steve ,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again ,

I have thought that this little plane was missing something .

So i have made one more to suite my son`s taste and added a lower wing to support some rockets much like the one`s on Richard Harris Auto Gyro little Nellie and i will add some guns on top of the Fuselage .

Then i hope to be able to pull it off . and cover the body to resemble a Bumble Bee compete with eyes and a menacing grin .

The wing is made from a sheet of Balsa .

lbs2lwrwing.jpg

fuzz1.jpg

bipe.jpg

So it is a Little more like a Bipe now , the only problem now is the wheels , i may change to a tricycle setup on this although i have not fully decided .

For the time being i need to order some wheels and a motor and receiver .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks RLG ,

I have not had a great deal of free time to spend on this so only a little progress .

I was concerned as to how it would look with a tricycle set up but now i have looked at it a bit more i will run with it .

barebones.jpg

card nose.jpg

I have made an air scoop to cool the motor and Esc , which i will also use to make it look like a mouth .

black nose.jpg

And this is where i have stopped . i was hoping that i would of had enough light blue to cover the wings , but it looks like i will have to use the darker blue in the picture as there will not be enough to do the main wing and i don't think a miss match of blue will look right .

Thanks RLG ,

It took me ages to get the mouth to look menacing no matter which way i tried it looked cheeky or like a clown .

But hopefully it looks Menacing now . But is it more like a Wasp than a Bee question .

beelbsa.jpeg

beelbs2a.jpeg

Now the next challenge to make some guns and rockets .

And do i leave the wings as they are or add strips of some kind  Hmmmm ..

Edited By Stephen Jones on 18/12/2013 11:52:19

• 2 months later...