76" Depron Vickers Valiant

Advert

Colin, they are better photos than those taken on my £500 camera.

For sale: Canon EOS Digital SLR £20.00 O.N.O. or SWAP for an IPhone like Colin's!

The first photo isn't very flattering lol.

The Valiant only fits in, and I have to remove the nose section.

It was a pleasure to meet you too Colin, and you are a very knowledgeable man. In fact, you told me more as we walked around than the guide did, and that cost me £3! I do apologise that I had to cut our lunch short to take the guided tour.

Roy, it was a good day, made better by meeting new friends, and being allowed to take my models in. I was worried that they would say no, but in fact they were very accommodating and happy to oblige, providing us with a member of museum staff to meet us at the doors, and he was employed to hold my camera while I was posing for Colin's photos above

You missed a good day Ian, and two Vulcans would've been better!

Mike, I have built one depron model before the Vulcan which was a 4ft wingspan Spitfire **LINK** but that was covered in tissue and water based polyurethane. I'm not sure how long Depron has been around, but as a build material it is very good. The Valiant probably cost me about £15 in Depron, and that is more like an over estimate. Compared to the cost of balsa and ply, which I estimate would've cost nearer £150. It's lighter so I can use smaller motors and smaller batteries, so it's cheaper in all areas apart from the cost of finish process, glass cloth, resin and paint. In fact the paint cost more than the depron! Thank you for the compliments!

I'm afraid that the budgie breeding has begun, sorry Darwik! Thank you for your kind words sir

Fantastic photos Daz & Colin it looks like you had a great day.

Daz you have made a fantastic job on your build.

keep the building blogs coming as you have inspired a lot of people to give depron a go. I too must get on with my build which has taken a bit of a stumble since Christmas.

regards

Roy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there everybody.

Firstly I would like to apologise for seemingly stopping this blog in an instant, and leaving you all in the lurch. For the last 18 months or so, I have been suffering from ill health, a big house move which happened very quickly due to having to move the in-laws in as her dad is terminally ill (they lived 3 1/2 hours away), lots of DIY and major building works to accommodate said in-laws, and a very unexpected family loss of my own, blah blah blah...........

Anyways, the Valiant never flew. All that was left to do was to slightly readjust the elevators as they were binding with the horizontal stab, fit battery plugs on the ESC wires, and finish the wing retaining pins. I kept the Valiant (and Vulcan) in the shed but every time I went in there I thought "What a waste", and so I decided that because I wasn't getting any use from them, I'd like to pass them on to someone who might. I advertised them both, and a father and (grown) son came down from up North and snapped them up. In fact just from the photos they were willing to paypal the money.

I gave them the links to both build blogs, a USB stick with all the photographs of the builds, and demanded in return that they post the video of the Valiant and Vulcan flying together. When I get this video I will post here if they haven't already.

I am not sure if I will ever build again, or even fly, certainly not in the foreseeable I'm afraid unless a few things change. I've been diagnosed with a fairly rare disorder that causes the nerves in my face and head to fire off inappropriate pain signals which is basically like being constantly electrocuted in the mouth. Words cannot describe the pain, except that in the medical world it is known to be the worst pain the human body can suffer. Sadly it is also known as the "suicide disease", which I admit I came very close to during the worst attack I ever suffered. Apart from the shocks, there then follows the feeling as if I have the worst toothache in every tooth, if I was chewing a mouthful of red hot needles, as if someone was pushing my eyeball in as far as possible, and having a broom handle pushed into my ear, and if I'm not being shocked then my face is tight and tingly. The meds themselves are really bad for side effects, and the anxiety of not knowing when the attacks will start, is in my opinion, worse than the pain itself.

Lol, other than that, I'm good, apart from also having surgery on my arm 7 weeks ago! Just shoot me!!! Obviously if I can start a build I will, and let me tell you something, IT'LL BE BIG!!!!

Daz

Thanks guys,

John F, yes mate, nail on the head! I've finally got an appointment with a neuro consultant in a weeks time, so I'm hoping to get some answers, or to move forward with further accurate diagnosis and treatment. The meds are working, although I've had to increase them 3 times so far, but I still get break through shocks, The other facial feelings still remain but at least the shocks are more controlled. However, this disorder has periods of remission which can last for months and even years, so what is it, meds holding it back or remission? There lies the crux, and the anxiety. Unfortunately, TN only gets worse and remission gets shorter. There is no "go to" cure to be rid of it, just meds and temporary treatments. Some people seem to be lucky in that they have had surgery on the nerve as it exits the brain and have been pain free for years, but they do not guarantee it.

Hi Daz

Sorry to hear you are suffering from TN, I know what you are going through, my wife had it for more than 10 years, at first the meds helped her cope but towards the end even the strongest levels had no effect. In the end she had to undergo a MVD and touching wood has now been pain free for 5 years.

Hope you get to see a good Neurologist who understands this debilitating condition.

This is a useful support group

If you need any help just ask

Paul

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/03/2016 10:09:43

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the link, I'm a member of TNA already, first group I found, and their literature really helped me. MVD looks horrific but against other treatments, like gamma knife and balloons, I think it'll be the one I go for if it gets that far.

I'm glad that your good lady wife is now pain free, it really isn't any picnic is it? Was she on Tegretol alone or a mixture? It's horrible stuff, that alone is enough to get you badly down.

Daz