sig koverall

john melia 1

Advert

well after a week using sig koverall , and butrate dope , i can safely say this will be the first and last time ever i use it.

So time consuming , and basically so expensive as well , the koverall cost £15 , the dope cost £10 , the thinners cost nearly £6 for a small tin , then i need undercoat , then paint , then a fuel proof finish of some sort .

I thought solarfilm was bad for applying , but this stuff takes the biscuit ....... horrible sad so the next time i think i'll be using solartex .

Don't give up so easily, John. The hardest part of koverall is the first time you use it. It's like all experience you learn, quickly and in large amounts the first time then the learning process gives way to your experience and you modify your technique to suit the job in hand.

I think the big lesson you've learned is solarfilm isn't that bad but the underlying lesson you've yet to assimilate, viz that koverall becomes part of the structure and imparts strength over and above that which any film can provide.

I still agonise over film or nylon for a wot 4 fuselage and I'm just reaching that stage with the wot4 I'm building right now.

Here's my tip of the month; if you envisage crashing your toys regularly solarfilm them, if you can fly them til they are oil soaked and have to retire them koverall or nylon.

Another tip use any old dope and buy some castor oil from the chemist, 50 ml is enough, 5 or so drops in your dope tin will make the dope flexible and drink the rest but not before you maiden a model devil.

you're right braddock , but jeez what a caper , i've now used the full bottle of dope , and all the mrs's talc to try and fill the weave , there still seems to be hard air pockets in the nylon , i've tried re-doping them and pricking them , but i think i'm gonna have to do a hell of a lot of prep work before it sees its first coat of primer , i was even thinking of using high build primer ??

To me i think it would be way more cost effective using say solartex with a fuel proofer . By the time i eventually get this done the cost will be around £53 for a smallish 34" span delta wing

I know for a fact it's not glow-fuel proof! I used it on a Formosa - it's only a leccy, doesn't need proofing. Not until I parked it at the back while stating the OS 61SF in my Tornado. Just a little exhaust residue got on the Formosa and the paint softened straight away.

Old fashioned enamels are not fuel proof.

Hmm, I'm going through some thinking about this at the moment. My Balsa USA Morane-Saulnier AI is covered in Koverall, went on very well and shrunk up nicely. Now I have to decide on a colour scheme and type of paint and fuel proofer. The BUSA suggested scheme is of course an American one, eg silver with the allied roundels. The French ones were a camouflage scheme which would look good and allows interesting markings like the little devil with the pitchfork. The trouble is the camo might make orientation more difficult although a plane this big should not be too hard to keep track of. Either way it will need to be either fuel proof paint, or have something suitable applied afterwards. Any thoughts?

John

went to car shop today and got some hi-cote acrylic high build primer , wish i had done this before i used the butyrate dope to fill the weave , this stuff would have filled it in one coat !!

i did notice that the primer softened the dope , but once it had gassed off everything tightened up again