Pilot Models

Baz Lewis

I would be interested to hear from any current owners of this model type either past build and flown or presently flown. As this is a classic kit build, i am lucky to come across this one in such fine condition... I have found the free plan on "outerzone" , which was very helpful, as i had no idea of what was original and any modifications that procured from original design.

The pdf was saved to a stick and the plans were perfect to scale.

I was given one of these after I'd done some work on an engine for a clubmate - a notoriously heavy builder...

I flew it on an SC91 FS and enjoyed it immensely, but to be honest, it wasn't a relaxing model to fly and needed constant vigilance.

The last time I flew it was an iffy winter afternoon and the assembled members had just taken refuge in the clubhouse and I'm told that our tame Area Chief Examiner had observed that the model would bite me sooner or later as he went through the door. Prophetic words indeed as within 30 seconds or so it was lying somewhat disarranged in the next field. The model's fault? My fault? Well, not really - it was a radio problem..

Yes, I know that's the excuse everyone gives but in my case I think it has some validity. A combination of a cold day and too much enthusiastic stick work over time (I presume) resulted in the aileron stick quadrant cracking and jamming the stick over to the right. Frantic efforts to get the stick central were to no avail and opposite rudder only served to tidy the arrival into a vicious side slip into the ground.

More encouragingly to you is the fact that I couldn't bring myself to scrap the model and have it in the loft for a rainy day rebuild...I suspect that with a little less weight it would be an even more rewarding model and if you have some experience of feisty biplanes you'll enjoy it.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/10/2013 22:57:35

Hi Martin
I too believe the success in handling this model lies in the weight and set up. I have the tail wires to add next, so using acetal nuts and bolts and carbon rod instead of the steel as per original. Choice of balance will be 6mm forward from plan and surface movement will have exponential dialed in. I have seen many aerobats plummit in because the c of g is set rearward. Big models are ok but small and heavy is not so good. The ys63s is light and powerful, also very smooth and fits within the cowl on its side without cutting holes for the head. Hope everything goes to plan with her.... Test flight scheduled for some time in December or early next year.