42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )

Roy Mundy

Advert

Hi Everyone, I have had a little bit of time today and I have managed to get the wings almost finished. I have made some fake landing gear, which isn't the same as the original but I'm sure it will be ok. My knowledge of aircraft isn't very good and I should really get to know the plane first before I start my build. If I had some blue foam I would have made a better attempt at copying the original. But I am fairly pleased with how they have come out.

Sorry for the upside down photo I don't know what went wrong there ? ( I've managed to insert it again but couldn't remove the original)

I have now hinged the elevator and fitted it along with the rudder, which is fixed as I am going for a 3 channel plane this time to save on extra weight.

Once the poly c has dried I will make and fit the ailerons, then I will work on a battery hatch.

regards Roy

Edited By Roy Mundy on 26/03/2014 17:51:45

There's nothing wrong with the finish on that eflight you have made a great job. If my finish is half as good as yours I will be pleased.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I have just come back in from the build, the wings are drying nicely I have started skinning around the cockpit, .......it's taking shape now.

Kind Regards

Roy

The poly C is really good Daz, I'm not sure how many coats people recommend but I've only given it one coat and it's great it's more or less filled the weave . I'm surprised at just how far it goes too.

i would certainly recommend it although I haven't tried easy coat, so I'm not sure of the difference.

I am not going to go all out for a fantastic finish on this model, I am going to get emulsion tester pots and still do my best.

On my next depron build I will really go for a top finish and plan everything out and get it right, now that I know more about depron.

Roy I'm not sure of the AUW I'll weigh it over the weekend and let you know.

Just one question do you guys clothe the complete fuz and tail ?

Regards

Roy

"Just one question do you guys clothe the complete fuz and tail ?"

On most of mine I use ceiling emulsion paint as an undercoat and sanding sealer, (add a little talc powder), then use acrylic artists paint as the main colour. A little extra protection is finally added using Ronseal Diamond Polyurethane varnish.

Posted by Tony F on 26/03/2014 23:16:17:

For a simple paint can I just use water based acrylic paint and a paint brush ?

Tony

Yes you can Tony, but the depron is easily damaged. Even if you used emulsion paint it will still get damaged. By using glass cloth and resin it puts a tougher skin on the foam, but it can still be damaged. That is the pitfall with depron, it doesn't bounce back unlike EPO.

With your model I would suggest just perhaps covering with tissue or brown paper just for a little extra protection with minimal weight gain, and once left to dry for a day then paint it with your acrylics.

I managed to get my first bit of flying in today since September, the weather was beautiful here in Essex.

I hope you all managed to get some much deserved flying in.

I have also been busy making the ailerons and I am pleased with the results.

the wings have come out really nice and I must say that I am really impressed with the finish of poly c and cloth,the wings feel really tough.

i haven't posted any photos as there is not much to show you yet.

i will soon need to be thinking about the battery hatch I was wondering if it was worth sliding the battery into the front in between the formers, on the side of the model so that the battery is width ways. What do you think ?

Regards Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Go length ways for better CG placement if I were you Roy, and make the battery area bigger than the battery so that you have some movement to play with. It's difficult to accurately place the battery at this stage obviously because the model isn't complete. Even paint can add more weight to upset a previously found accurate CG.

Once found, you can then infill the extra space for security.

Edited By Budgie Daz on 15/04/2014 21:50:02

Plod plod plod lol,

sorry for the slow progress everyone, work has been busy with new product launches etc.

anyway enough excuses and thank you for bearing with me.

hopefully the photos are the right way up as my iPad shows them upside down for some reason ?

I have managed to get on with building the battery hatch, I decided to take out the front formers and rebuild a hatch that will be held in place with 2 cocktail sticks for locating lugs and 2 nano magnets on the other end.

i will skin it in one piece and then cut the hatch free, hopefully this will work out .

kind regards

Roy M