42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )

Roy Mundy

winkI've had a look through the plans of the Harvard and yes it looks like a good 2nd build.

i won't do anything until this build is up and flying, I am also enjoying the build blog so I may even do a blog too.

its great to see all these depron builds taking shape and seeing what can be achieved .

regards

Roy M

Advert

I built a Nijhuis Hurricane from blue foam in a similar way and made the nose cowling from blocks of the same stuff. (the foam was free from a builder's skip! but it can be bought from a builder's merchant.)

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=34350

The white and blue foam can be hot wired easily. I made a tool like a small bow saw with the wire in place of the blade about two inches long. This is great for sculpting smaller parts or general shaping of something like the cowling before using the sandpaper.

The power supply can be something like a 3S lipo with a brushed ESC to control the current and therefore the temperature, or a 12V transformer with a dimmer switch feeding it from the mains to do the same job.

Any which way, foam is useful stuff, bit a build like this is brilliant to watch. Keep it going..

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 27/11/2013 07:33:09

lol Thanks Roy, it's MDF so AUW is quiet weighty , it should hopefully last the school many years if they look after it.

its nice to get back to work on the Hawk now. I'm having a go a skinning this cowl, I'm not sure if I should have cut long strips and planked it, or do what I am doing in cutting segments and gluing, is sticky fiddly stuff.

once it's done and sanded I want to Eze cote and glass, is there a link someone could send me to buy what I need.

that would be ace.

thank you in advance

Roy M

Hi guys, watching with interest, and some good stuff going on there. Regarding the foam cutter, I had a trigger type soldering iron, the one that is shaped like a pistol, removed the tip and replaced it with 1/16 brazing wire shaped to whatever profile I wanted to cut. Would post a picture but not at home at the moment. Working night shift all week.....g

foam cutter 2Hi All, I have also used a Weller soldering iron to shape foam with great success as Gilg says you can make a cutter to any shape you like, use the trigger to control the heat.

I have built an upright foam cutter ( see photos ) using 26swg Nicrome wire ( E Bay ) powered via a 9 to 18 volt 10amp transformer ( part of my Mini Lathe set ) controlled via a foot switch,

At 9volts it cuts through White Styrofoam like butter, Blue foam has a bit more resistance and needs a higher voltage of 12volts , NOTE watch the tension of the Nichrome!

I make wooden formers and stick these to the foam with double sided tape and push through the wire, if you are careful you can get very good results, I have also made a ' Bow ' cutter for shaping wings etc.

At the moment I am forming small cutters from 20swg Nichrome , will post results later. Cheers al JohnFoam cutter 1

I'm soaking up everything you guys are putting in here. I definitely intend to have a go at something using Depron and Blue Foam. I've got a huge block of the foam already and a hot wire bow I've never used yet.

In addition I've got a Weller soldering gun I never use (in the case) which clearly has potential. I think the thing that has swung around me around on Depron is the realisation that you can cover it with glass-cloth. That moves me on from previous perceptions that I don't like the look of the surface and it's too easy to knock it about.

Time to move into the 21st. century. (I'm still in the 19th.)

Thanks for the photos and info JP , that looks like a really good bit of kit that you have made there.

i think I will have to give it a go at some point as my cowl would have been so much easier this way. I am still rolling the UHU POR off my fingers after tonight's skinning session lol.

I will definitely have to get some Eze cote and fibre glass cloth to finish it and give it a hard ish shell.

regards

Roy M

Edited By Roy Mundy on 28/11/2013 22:58:21

I have got some new 3S 2200Mah lipos battery's coming for me for Christmas. Upto now I have converted all my battery's to Deans plugs, does anyone know if I can get a JST HX male lead to fit the battery's so that I can make up an adaptor lead to convert me over to deans. This will save me cutting off the ends and soldering deans on, I would like to have various adapters so that I can use any battery.

a link would be great.

kind Regards

Roy M

Hi Roy, if you build a foam cutter ensure that you get the cutting wire VERTICAL both ways, I did this by using cable eye hole connectors to attach the Nichrome, the top connection ( vertical ) adjust the left to right while the lower connection ( fitted horizontal ) adjusts the back to front of the wire.

When cutting do not push side ways on the cutting wire as this will cause an inward curve from the formers and not a straight cut.

Watch the tension on the wire, I am going to try a bigger wire, about swg 20 to try and tackle this problem will post results later, Cheers JP

Thanks for the advice John I will have a go in the New Year, I may PM you if I get stuck if that's ok ?

I managed to get back on with the build tonight , I haven't had chance to do much this week , what with helping out at our local school and work etc.

I have now finished the other wing fillet by using the first fillet as a template traced over with paper. It has worked a treat and is now looking like a plane .

i have inserted the 9g servo and piano wire for the elevator. I have left the tail end long and I'll have to bend it once the elevator is fitted.

the cowl is skinned but needs some sanding and glassing to harden it up.

photos to follow soon.

regards

Roy M

I have still got to cut the front of the cowl to shape and fill and sand etc.

I found an old pilot and visor from an old parkzone P51 which I have cut down , what do you recon should I use it or have a go at making one ?

Ill start skinning wings now As I now have 9g servos

regards

Roy M