42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )

Roy Mundy

Personally Roy, you've made such a good job of creating something that is clearly a Curtiss P36/Hawk 75, I wouldn't spoil it with a canopy that is obviously off a P51D and looks nothing like the one that belongs there.

The correct canopy includes no compound curves and should be relatively easy to make up from flat acetate or other suitable plastic. No moulding to do. Compared to the trouble you've already gone to in getting this far, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Advert

Still weighs under 1lb without radio gear so it's looking good.

I will wait on the canopy and may have a go at making one, I am in no rush to finish the build .

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I am pleased with the build so far and it is my first depron build so it's a learning curve. I certainly wouldn't have got this far without you guys on board . I have learnt so much from this forum and for that I am really grateful,

So if anyone is reading this and wants to make a build blog I would really recommend it. As it was the depron build blogs that inspired me to give it a go.

With regards to the WBPU would B&Q quick dry varnish (water based) be ok to use?

Regards

Roy M

That is coming along nicely Roy. You wouldn't think it is your first build. It looks cracking mate. The wings look brilliant.

I agree with Colin, get the canopy as close as you can rather than use the P51 one. You'll be more happier and it shouldn't take too much work.

Well done though mate, you should be pleased with it all.

Daz

I have managed to skin the wings today and get the servo wires in place , I am working on the rear plate now to bolt the wings up.

i had a test today with that glue from tool station and by using a cocktail stick and dipping it into the glue then pricking the depron slightly it makes some lovely rivets, ideal for some detailing. Has anyone tried it ? I'm not sure how involved I want to get, but I'm really enjoying this build.

I have also tried some glass sheeting and water based varnish on a scrap piece, just waiting for it to dry.

regards

Roy

Hi Roy.

I've said it quite a few times now mate, you are doing a great job there. Have you left the balsa LE in, not sure if I can see it or a glue line, or have you brought the 3mm skin over the top of it? The wing looks perfectly formed.

You may want to include some kind of exhaust for the motor heat to escape through, be it some (just a couple) holes through the formers and out into the wing saddle area. From memory there is a lot of foam in the cowl which may make it hard for the motor to dissipate any heat. A blow through to allow cooler air to pass over the motor and out will help a lot. Just a suggestion. You could of course make working exhausts? I did this on my depron spitfire, certainly got rid of the heat especially as I was using a solid foam cowl which sat close to the motor.

Either way, you seem to have cracked the build technique, well done!

Edited By Depron Daz on 12/12/2013 13:57:16

Thanks for the comments guys.

the wings are skinned and sanded back to the balsa LE I will glass cloth them so hopefully they will be ok.

i will give the motor some air flow to help cool it.

the weight with motor, battery 3S 2200Mah servos, cowl etc is 750g (1 1/2 lb ) so hopefully well under 2lb when complete.

Regards

Roy

Looks great Roy! I think this method is the way forward for large, inexpensive models. I still love balsa, but I'll keep that for my small free flight builds

Just wish the discount stores would stock the Por at a quid a tube like they do the general purpose UHU!

Roy M, my Vulcan took 4 full tubes of POR. The Valiant has just begun it's third, but I only have the wings and tail left to do, so 3 should do it (hopefully)

I second what Roy H has said above, you are a natural, and I too am looking forward to seeing this one fly, but more importantly seeing what you have in mind for the next, and the next, and the next............................. wink because you clearly have the talent, and we know that you now have the depron bug coursing through your veins!

It should come with a health warning: "WARNING, building model planes with Depron can seriously make you want to build even more and even bigger!" I think that fits, don't you?

Daz

p.s. when I buy my depron from Kudos, I also order the POR with it, usually 4 tubes at a time. They have it priced the cheapest, and they discount the postage, rather than getting one at a time. As long as the lid stays on it doesn't seem to go off.

Edited By Depron Daz on 13/12/2013 08:48:12

Thanks Daz,

I think I will do the same, I bought some big tins of uhu por from ebay which worked out at £5 each but as you use it, the tin starts to go off very fast it ends up like thick toffee in the bottom so a lot is wasted.

When I order my next depron from Kudos I will mail them before I order as I ordered 6 sheets of 6mm and 6 sheets of 3mm I paid with paypal and sent them a nice message to kindly credit me the postage as it would fit in the 1 box. I never heard back from them and ended up paying £15 postage for 1 box. They certainly are the cheapest and it was probably my fault as I was in a hurry to get started so I just clicked on the buy it now option blush

Thanks for your kind words I certainly have caught the depron bug! lol

Regards

Roy M

That works out cheaper but they are larger quantities if you don't mind it hanging around. I will probably give them a try once my stash has been depleted.

Roy, have you tried putting the tin in some warm water with the lid still on (not boiling water!) and see if it loosens up a little?

Daz

Hi Roy, sorry for the delay in responding to you been a bit busy.

You can send me a PM any time, glad to talk about modelling, as regards the foam cutting I will be producing some cutting tools soon and will post these.

Like a lot of readers I have been following your progress with interest and do intend building a model from depron in the new year, it will be a 43inch Lancaster based on a model for free flight designed by Brian Waterland, my model will be RC and like the original powered by four KP01 motors, will post as build progresses..............JP

Hi all.First time posting although I have been registered a long time. Long time balsa builder although I do have a few foam models(MiniMag,Funjet etc.) Seeing what you guys are doing with Depron is amazing! You have inspired me to give it a go myself....so I dug out Tony Nijhuis' 62" Hurricane plan and would like to attempt to build it in Depron. I have some electric retracts that I would like to use,but not sure if that would be feasable on a depron wing/model of this size. Any advice would be appreciated. Keep up the good work guys.

Regards Pete.