42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )

Roy Mundy

Advert

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys and Girls,

sorry for the lack of updates I have been waiting for an ESC to come from HK which for some reason was on back order for ages. So I have been busy working and in my spare time getting some much needed stick time in. So unfortunately my build has come to a halt yet again .............I did say at the beginning that this was going to be a slow build lol.

anyway my ESC arrived on Thursday and today I have got on with the build again. The motor is pulling 380 Watts so I should have plenty of power.

I am hoping to maiden her in the next week or so. I have now done the linkage for the elevator and the aileron servos are fitted .

thank you for your patience

Roy M

Edited By Roy Mundy on 29/06/2014 22:59:35

We'll tonight I managed to get the Hawk 75 ready to maiden.

The AUW is 2 1/4 lb with battery fitted, I have a 7" prop but I will try a 9" prop.

she feels nice and strong you wouldn't think it was made from depron, I have really enjoyed the build but business and family have slowed my progress. Thank you to everyone for your input especially Daz, Roy & Monz.

i have got a very busy week from Thursday with my childrens School fete and then we have sports days and swimming galas etc, So I am hoping to maiden it next Sunday.

I will do my best to video the maiden for you all to see.

kind regards

Roy M

• 3 weeks later...

Well Today the weather was a bit blustery but we decided to go for a maiden flight. I had to change the prop to a 9 x 6 and also the C G was out a bit so it was weighted a little at the front.

a good friend at my club had his new toy armed with a camera on a gimble and he was kind enough to get some footage for me.

i am a bit of a coward when it comes to a maiden flight, so I let our club expert have a go and trim it out for me ............I know that one day I will have to bring myself to do it on my own.

anyway the maiden didn't go quiet to plan as the motor burnt out, it had a poor 2 handed launch which was recovered, she then pulled up and flew nice for a few seconds before the ESC burnt out. The motor stopped and she glided down safely. When we tried to power up smoke came belching out the motor which wouldn't spin, the ESC was burning hot.

so it looks like. A new motor and ESC is needed before maiden number 2 ..........can anyone recommend a suitable cobo to run a 3 cell 2200 Mah, a link would be much appreciated.

heres the link. http://youtu.be/sZkP0QmgBBo

kind Regards

Roy M

Roy sorry to see and hear of this. Without backtracking through this thread, what motor and ESC do you have now? Emax (E-Power) motors are good, I've never had an issue with them and I use about 10 in my various planes. all different sizes.

I regularly use this one **LINK**- for most of my small stuff, coupled to a 40amp ESC and a UBEC for safety.

Daz

Hey Roy,

whether or not the motor gave up the ghost, she flew!..... Well done mate!

May I ask, did you check the output/draw on a wattmeter or did you just 'wing' it?. It sounds very much as though she was over-prop'ed and the ESC couldn't cope before the magic smoke appeared. What is the AUW of the model? The reason I ask is that the motors that I'm currently using on the Herc' are rated as having an output of 340W with a 30A ESC which I can confirm is bang on. So, applying the rule of 100W per lb weight of model, if she weighs 3.5lb or less(which I'm sure she does) , the motor would fit the bill perfectly. On 8 or 9" prop too.

Just a thought

regards

Roy

Hi Daz and Roy,

I think you are bang on with your prognosis Roy, the model was 2 1/4lb (+ a little more weight added on the day) and I tested it with a watt meter with the 7" prop fitted, it seemed to have plenty of power around 380watts.

The 9"x 6 prop seemed much bigger and a different style to the 7". I then didn't bother to put her back on the watt meter, which was a big mistake. I'm sure it was over propped and that's what burnt the motor out.

The motor I used was from Giant shark but had nothing written on it and it seems kind of small for the prop which is fitted onto it. I'm fairly new to electric flight so it's a lesson learnt.

i will buy a decent sized motor and ESC and she will be ready to take to the skies for real this time, My friend at the club said that for the time it was in the air it seemed to fly right, apart from the dodgy launch.

ill take a look at the motor you suggest Daz and try again.

Thank you for your help it's much appreciated.

kind Regards

Roy M