Trouble fitting a motor to E-Fair glider

I have purchased an E-Fair glider with which I am pleased( BUT out of the Hobby for the past 40 years!) Eexcellent value for money and for re-introduction to the hobby. However, I am having great trouble fitting a motor to the front firewall. Three motors were recommended to me and the kit advised a 28mm outrunner..

I purchased a Turnigy D2822/14 outrunner but the mounting points are at the rear of the motor so that is no good asit would have to be mounted in front of the firewall and the leads would have to exit outside the fuselage and then be brought back in through a hole cut in the sheet balsa. The engine would not fit anyway without a vast amount of balsa being cut away. I was then recommended to purchase a 26mm Turnigy 2627 which the blogger said was what he had chosen for his E-Fair. Again more wood needing to be removed and again mounted from the rear with the additional difficulty of the leads emanating from the front of the motor. Eventually I decided to fit a 28 mm inrunner but the mounting through the firewall does not line up with any of the holes and if I drill new ones it will have the strength of a sieve. I have purchased some 4mm ply and a 35mm holesaw with a view to removing the old firewall and making another. Can anybody help with a better idea? In the meantime I have crossthreaded the inrunner rendering it virtually unmountable and the shaft is too short for me to place the 4mm new firewall in front of the old one. Not very very model savvy even though I used to design and build my own diesel powered gliders in the 50's

Advert

hi Michael

I bought one of these and it flys great. it was made for a 400 brushed motor which I intended to fit. however my brushed esc (from a brushless converted mpx mini mag ) gave up the ghost.

so I fitted a keda KB28-35 2200 kv brushless inrunner from G S. this has two sets of mounting holes one set to match a brushed 400 motor (16mm spacing 2.5 mm thread) and 20 mm for 3mm thread, which you can drill vertically. I used the brushed spacing which fitted perfectly.

I run it on a 2S li po 25 A esc and a folding 8 x 4 prop

don't forget to beef up the front wing mounting to the ply former.

mike

Edited By michael cawood on 05/11/2013 17:58:16

Edited By michael cawood on 05/11/2013 18:02:28

Hi MIke Brooks, can't add any more to this than Mr Cawood has said above. The E-Fair comes with a brushed motor, that fits well. As this was my first glider and still on 35Mhz, I decided to use it and its great. Great vfm, and can be modified to a 2mts wing that also flies very well I am told. The Keda motor is a good choice. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 05/11/2013 18:10:59

PeD,PatMc,Michael Cawood. Thanks for all your suggestions. Firstly each motor came with a "cross" mounting bracket 40mm wide with a front firewall only 35mm diameter so of no use. I am going to hack off the existing firewall and replace it with a new 4mm ply wall and either use the 28,mm outrunner running outside the cowl and feeding the wires back in (untidy but not difficult to do) I am told this model needs quite a bit of weight up front so this should help. In the meantime I will have a look at the KB 28 and see if it seems a more suitable component. I have not come across one motor yet where the mounting holes match those already provided in the firewall. Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm not familiar with Turnigy motors, but I have heard that it's quite easy to push the shaft through so that it's coming out the other end (as already mentioned), so you can then mount it behind your bulkhead using the four holes which were intended for the cross-type rear mount.

Personally I prefer to mount my motors in front of the firewall, using the cross-mounts, but with one model the mount was too wide for the fuselage even though the motor would fit. So I simply installed four lengths of studding into the holes the mount was supposed to bolt into, being careful not to let them go too far into the motor casing, and then attached the motor to the rear firewall by the studs. If the dimensions are right, you could even mount it hard against the firewall without the cross-mount, using four bolts direct into the holes in the motor. In that case you may need a hole in the centre of the firewall so that the rear bearing doesn't bind against it.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 06/11/2013 08:51:39:
If the dimensions are right, you could even mount it hard against the firewall without the cross-mount, using four bolts direct into the holes in the motor. In that case you may need a hole in the centre of the firewall so that the rear bearing doesn't bind against it.

But you would need screwdriver access to to the rear of the firewall which would rarely be pracitcal.

Posted by PatMc on 06/11/2013 09:16:41:

But you would need screwdriver access to to the rear of the firewall which would rarely be pracitcal.

?? In most of my models the battery bay is immediately behind the firewall, so access for a screwdriver or hex-driver is easy. In fact, in my model with the studding stand-off mounting, the battery bay is below the motor, but I was able to use a nut-driver to reach and install the nuts behind the firewall.