Full size mid air - two planes full of Skydivers

Advert

Both aircraft are completely in each others blind spots, I'm not convinced either can see either.

Very easy to blame the Pilots as it is factually the most common cause of aircraft crash but in my opinion is probably the cause here too. Lack of spacial awareness, tunnel vision, focused on one task etc... when there are two aircraft planned to be in the same airspace.

Anyhow, absolutely a miracle that everybody involved survived to tell the tale. When everyone gets out ok, im too fussed whose fault it is. wink

Posted by Martin Harris on 05/11/2013 23:02:17:

Anyone else wondering if the surviving plane nosed over on landing?

It didn't, there are other pictures in the media showing the aircraft at rest OK

This incident does focus attention on whether or not the pilots wear 'chutes themselves.

There are some interesting discussions on GA (general aviation) forums about this. In this incident it was the 'chute that saved the pilot of the plane which broke up. You might be surprised to learn that some "diver drivers" actually choose not to wear chutes ... preferring to focus all their efforts on 'piloting' their aircraft.

I can almost understand that point of view given that this incident looks to have been the result of at least some degree of pilot error. 

Edited By avtur on 09/11/2013 10:39:45

Posted by avtur on 09/11/2013 10:37:08

You might be surprised to learn that some "diver drivers" actually choose not to wear chutes ... preferring to focus all their efforts on 'piloting' their aircraft

Maybe a few of them may be reconsidering their position on the matter?

When I was instructing in gliders we only wore 'chutes in 2 seaters for aerobatics training or (in theory) cloud flying but a few years later the club policy changed and they were adopted for all training. This was rather fortunate for the occupants of a K21 which was hit by ball lightning and literally blown apart in the air - both pilots survived with only minor injuries.