What wattage soldering iron ???

Mouse

Advert

Posted by Peter Gain 1 on 07/11/2013 23:16:14:

After prolonged use an iron will require filing, whether it is coated or not.

No no no no no!

Coated irons should not be filed. All that happens then is that you remove the iron coating, and then the copper core begins to dissolve in the solder.

I've got coated bits that have lasted many years without problems. ... but then I only use decent cored solder for electronic work.

Hi all

Just a quick update, I bought a 80 watt iron for just over £ 7 from a local tool shop, they are Chinese made but mainly sold in the U.S A, hence the low price.

Gets up to heat quickly and does a lovely job, nice and shiny joint, will probably get a lower wattage one next time I am near there.

Thank you for all your advice and tips on how to do a proper job.

Bill.

Coated tips should non repeat not be filed. The iron coating prevents the solder and flux attacking the copper bit core.

Having said that, a bit that has had its coating damaged can develop cavities, that can be rather useful because you can "hook" a wire in the cavity and then use the iron to reposition it. (This is bodging!)

Another thing that is very useful is to have a damp sponge nearby. A quick rub of the hot tip on the sponge will remove excess solder and general crud from the bit. At work we had a soldering station, with a temperature controlled iron, and a sponge. Each station had an old washing-up liquid bottle full of water to squirt onto the sponge.

I remember watching someone repairing organ pipes. He used candle wax as flux, The melting point of the solder was hotter than the melting point of the pipe metal. SKILL!

Plummet

As long as you are not using agressive flux the iron coating shoud stay on the tip. And of coarse don't leave the iron hot without using it for a long time. Agressive flux will eat away the iron, and then it is time to get the file out or even better invest into another tip

best is to keep 2 soldering irons - one for electronics - max. 30 watt, on this never use agressive flux but electronic soldering wire with colophoniuk core and it will last, one for large battery leads and undercarriage work, best would be 100 watt. This will be the one in contact with agressive flux, as the piano wires will not take the solder without flux.

my favorite iron is ERSA, very temperature stable and coming with a good quality cable which isn't stiff like the cheap stuff from China. For the 100W job it can be a cheap one, also because it is heavier, so the problem that the soldering iron will be pulled around by the stiff cable is less present.

VA, soldering department

• 8 months later...

@mouse, it has been correctly identified in an earlier post that even 60W is enough and quite clearly, if the plastic is getting melted, the solder should melt too. In fact the solder should melt way before the plastic does. I think there must be some issue with your soldering material that needs to be verified. Just make sure that you let the iron get properly heated before applying solder to it. Thanks.

Bill, regarding temperatures of irons. Temperature on an old fashioned simple soldering iron is by what they call thermal balance ie the iron will dissipate heat by convention and reach an equilibrium temperature. This is by the design of the iron irrespective of the electrical energy input. That is why a 100w iron is larger than a 15w iron. They should all be designed to run at a temperature sufficient to melt the solder and very little more. If memory serves me correctly 430C for standard 60/40 solder, whereas my whitemetal iron runs somewhere about 70C.

I have far too many irons of differing sizes temperatures and technologies. My gas iron is very handy in the pits. The only iron that I have never got on with is my big chunky 100w Weller pistol iron. Although a lot of people seem to like them. I find it clumsy, bulky, heavy and not very effective. I do better with my Antex 25w or my 40w Weller for fine work

Edited By Kevin Wilson on 19/08/2014 23:24:09